Whiting Wednesday

Sinbad

Hi Ho

Just got back from a wonderful winter whiting wednesday, without waves. Or for that matter any swell, or the 10mph forecast for the bay.

Fished out of Christchurch, just off 1st HW, trouble free launch at the mudeford slip ( good news - all day parking only 2 quid) and my mate paid, so even better !!! laugh.gif

Steamed straight to 2m SSW of hengistbury and anchored the mark. Didnt have to wait long - the whiting were already there and pretty hungry. So by 0930 had half a box full of decent fish, no dogfish, no pout, no rays, or anything else.

Interestingly, most were going for the squid, and on boarding, unceremoniously coughing up bait fish some 4" long. Even had a fish on the coughed up meal - waste not want not eh?

pretty much the whole morning was spent hauling, the fish staying arround all through the ebb. Was just amazed to connect so many so close in, what with reports lately of having to fish SSW of the needles - quite a steam for a small boat - and not great fun with big leads and smallish non-fighting fish. max lead all day was 5oz. Best rig was a downtide running rig, with a one up boom paternoster. Just enough tide to straighten everything out perfectly

later moved near another solitary boat fishing the ledge - spent an hour or two in 'Dogfish heaven' some giving a good scrap on our light rods, then headed home.

Got out slightly sooner than expected though, due to a lack of water under the hull, right in the middle of the run. Not very professional, but glad some found it funny on the shore laugh.gif

There's a very slim 1-2m deep channel close to the sandbar, marked by new yellow bouys. Its less than a foot deep elsewhere - trust me.

Also encountered a nice stony mudbank just off the Haven. 1.5m deep under the fish finder, and 0m at the bow, just after my mate advised me of a rock somewhere in the vicinity! What ro...greeeaunnnchhhh. Oh F....... mad.gif

Recovery at the slip was also fun, using warp and VW welly, but at least I know you can just about scrape in (scrape being the keyword) at LW.

Sinbad.