Garmin GPS 215 Chartplotter

Newboy

I like it - have a 215 and 225 both with differential. You will struggle to get more charts - ie it's a once off purchase and it is no longer supported by Garmin from, I believe, the end of the year. That doesn't rule out being able to get it fixed but their superb out of warantee service ceases when it goes 'out of support'.

How much are they asking?

seems fair if the charts are reasonably wide and fully cover your intended area of use.

Only 5 years ago it would have been an 800 quid unit and charts were around 200 a pop for the large ones

I find it a good unit and better than the colour 225 for fishing (you lose the contour lines against the dark blue sea colour). On the down side the land and sea look the same on the b/w unit with only the 2m contour line being highlighted at all.

One small point to chaeck - look at the plug on the power cable - if it is showing green copper corrosion on one 'socket' that indicates that the power leads remained live in an open environment in the cockpit and the power has shorted to the earth via the salt in the air making it an electrolyte - ie he didn't have a battery isolation switch but removed the unit from the boat each trip. This will result in a poor connection and eventual failure as the copper sleves making up the 'socket' are pretty thin (and inaccesable). If that's corroded negotiate around a new cable - pretty standard Garmin part but around 25 or more squid.

Intersting poing re: Isolation switch Duncan. I remove my GPS but have to admit to not always/usually isolating the batteries. ( Bad habit on my part ).

However, I do have the power switched off at the switch panel and this will have the same affect. ( Had me worried for a minute though smile.gif ).