Reform of the EU CFP

OK so we all just want to go fishing etc....

But I admit to being really hopeful about many of the things EC Commissioner Maria Damanaki has been saying lately.

Her speech today was very measured and clear...

Maria Damanaki speech

We all love to kick both politicians and Europe whenever we can, so European politicians are in double jeopardy. Yet in recent months Mrs Damanaki seems to have got to grips with many of the issues, listened to the public outcry over discards and set an agenda for how things could be better.

I just hope she can see this through in some tough bargaining this winter.

Duncan

Guest Bob Shotter

Commissioner Maria Damanaki said quote;-

1. The result is that today seventy-five per cent of our stocks are overfished.

2. Giving them only half the data does not help them in preparing solid advice and that is a big problem that we face now.

Assuming the 50% as in half the data we don

Guest Bob Shotter

Sorry Tony but are you and the members not worried that in the same speech and using the same flawed data (her definition not mine) Maria Damanaki claimed the fishing industry would gain by; quote

Guest Bob Shotter
is it too little too late though?

Not a lot wrong with the idea Matt having all fish caught landed is the best thing that could happen because then the scientist might be better placed to assess the right quotas as well as ending the huge waste that is the hallmark of discards.

Thing is will there be the funds with the EU in financial turmoil and why has no date to end discarding been set.

As for being too late well even the so called experts won

I am with Duncan here - hopeful.

There are a million and one things I could say here but must resist - think of the members !! - More importantly, the cod are in and my boat is not here sad.gif

Will be re-united on the weekend then, weather willing, I shall be endeavouring to make a small dent in the cod stocks smile.gif

Guest Bob Shotter
Yes shotter all cattches reported will be a good thing. If we achieve this our next target should be banning traulers from inshore 'famous' marks- like shambles utopia etc why should we subsdize trawlers. Se should look at norway as our example

Seems we have much in common Matt. Ever thought what happened to the golden mile?

Inshore netting and trawler workings are not very conservational but it has to be proven to be un-sustainable to have any meaning and at present that is not the case.

I would refer you to the study undertaken by the Sussex Sea Fisheries as an example, just before the hand over to the IFCAs. There they were asked to look into inshore trawling and the effort on the Kingmere and the conclusion was for no action being required.

OK so reading between the lines, the only solution is to ban all commercial fishing activity and dedicate the seas entirely to RSA.

Agreed. Now we can move on?

... except I quite liked the fact that our local chippy had fresh cod the other night while we were watching Shepton Mallet carnival.

This is an imperfect world. The EU is far more imperfect than most of it.

But like it or not somebody is going to call the shots and with such a complex mix of vested interests, things will always be inconsistent and messy.

My simple point was that Mrs Damanaki's comments about the big picture are making far more sense to me personally than any of her contemporaries... and a damn site more sense than ANY UK politicians.

Duncan rolleyes.gif

He is not making sense either. I thought it was determined that article 47 was not aimed at recreational,anglers as we know them in this country but at recreational anglers who are effectively fishing commercially. This was old ground I thought.

Still makes good press a bit of euro bashing smile.gif

Guest Bob Shotter

Hi Paul while I have never voted UKIP I have to disagree with you on this one, Nigel is a clued up angler and everything that he said then is very true. I recall the likes of Dave Gibson (Weymouth Charter Boat skipper)saying much the same at the time on TV and article 47 went on to become 55 and now the Charter Fleet has been dragged into this CFP. Mr Farage is like you chaps, a private boat owning RSA and believe me you are in the sights now of the EU who will use the oncoming mandatory registration to get you under the control of the CFP. sad.gif

In that battle bus speech he said as many still do