Poole Harbour 19th

Harnessboy

Having spoken to Charlie after the last meeting about bassing around the castle, myself Ben and Mark hatched a plan to try for a long day out in the Harbour. We launched from Lake due to the horrific amount of traffic around sandbanks, and of course the truly astronomical parking charges. I digress, myself and Mark launched at midday, sadly Ben had to do something called "work" not a pleasant experience by all accounts.

user posted image

It was very busy out there but the idea was to take the ebb down to the RORO basin and try for some live bait, the berths were empty so we were able to drift in close and did manage mackerel for later in the trip.

user posted image

Moving on, due to CAT coming in, we crossed the harbour to the ferry No three over towards Brownsea. From there we drifted down to the fuel barge area trying for a plaice or two, we actually managed none. huh.gif

We stayed in close and paddled around to the castle in the hope of getting in between the jetties. We both had baited sabiki's on but the vast number of boats coming and going made it a little dodgy. We both decided to buoy up just south east of the castle on the edge of the channel as soon as i dropped the sabiki's i was into mackies as soon as i got that in the other rod went over and another macky was on. At this point Mark was just 30m away and couldn't buy a bite, but he would get his own back later in the trip.

user posted image

In total i had 5 mackerel and a single small Bass of around 35 cm, he went back of course. We decided to make our way back in stages, as we passed the cottages north of the castle we thought we would try a drop off we spotted on the fishfinders. On the first drop i managed to coax up this little fella. Meanwhile every small boat in the world was trying to get back to their berths after watching the Air Show, it was totally packed out there, thankfully we were well out of it. I did put one of the mackies down as live but had no luck, to be truthful he was a big fella, i think maybe we needed something a little smaller, next time we will get into those jetties and get some of the small stuff Charlie told us about.

user posted image

The tide had turned by now so we paddled around the north of the island to within striking distance of lake but we had another two hours to wait before we could take the flood back. Mark moored up and i tied off his bow, we dropped the baits again in the hope for some more action and thats what Mark at least got, he had five bass over the next 90 mins and i got the square root of nowt.

user posted image

user posted image

At 2020 hrs we started the paddle back to lake, it was by now a beautiful late evening, we both thoroughly enjoyed the peace and quiet after such a manic day, we managed to make Lake at 2100 hrs. Thanks to Ben for the help in planning and Mark for the company, a great day out in a great place.

Paul

Edited by Harnessboy

The bass I managed to get on the way back were caught on rag. The tide was running pretty fast so I put 4oz of lead on a ruuning ledger to get get the bait down and that seemed to do the trick. There were quite a few fish moving through during this period, the fish finders were alarming quite a bit at times.

I would like to thank Paul for an excellent day out, shame you couldn't make it Ben. You will have to tell me what this work thing is on a Friday biggrin.gif

Edited by Uglystick