Species comp score sheet...

domino

A couple of questions...

1. If you catch more than 8 different species (not for one minute suggesting that I would!!! biggrin.gif )... do you still get a max of 60 bonus points.

I realise that he next question is probably something for discussion at the clubs AGM... and apologise if it has previously been discussed, but...

2. Should there be an additional category of 'OTHER', to encompass any species not specifically listed.

Cheers,

Alan

Hi

just to clarify the bonus points are 10 per species from three upwards so the more you get the better.

It is not capped at 60, but as it is rare then the paperwork did not warrent the extra lines,

although last year I think we had anglers getting 11 species =90 points.

It has been asked before about "Other" species,

or more specifically about sub deviding various fish Ie wrasse and mullet

I think that we would need to clarify the species this would not cover and the points they are worth.

I have never been a fan of counting "Mini Species" but if the membership wanted to count them under a single heading I and the committee are open to discussion.

Please give us an idea on your views

Thanks Charlie biggrin.gif

Charlie,

Thanks for the info.

Re. 'OTHER' species - I felt sure that the subject would have probably been raised before.

I was just interested in how / why a decision was made not to include them.

Without giviing it an awful lot of thought, or listening to others views - it seems to me that it is a 'Species' competition not a 'Specimen' comp... so size should not be important... and if it is a Fish and it is recognised as a Sea Fish, then it should count.

I don't have strong views either way... just my 'two-penneth' as they say. biggrin.gif

Cheers,

Alan

So, in essence Charlie, anything that carries a club record counts in species competitions...anything else doesnt??

I must ad,it, in the YYS things were going from the sublime to the ridiculous with some of the mini species boated........I wasnt complaining bagging 12 species one day!!

Rich

tongue.gif The problems you get when sub-dividing species is identification. Shannies, blennies, gobies, different wrasse types etc. It caused concern in the Poole Species when they decided to bring fish back in buckets so that they could be identified. We even had one of our local skippers claim three types of sandeel in one comp. He is right because there are sub species of sandeel but it raised a few eyebrows. Dont let it get too complicated lads. BB cool.gif

PS Mark, are we on for the weekend mate? Let me know asap so that I can arrange it.

My main concerns are that the limited time I now have for fishing I enjoy the chance of a few decent fish.

If mini species were included we would all be around the harbour and sewer outfalls for them on tiny hooks and maggots.

I am afraid that would not interest me and I think I would just not compete in the species comps.

The second point would be that some of us have difficulty being sure which Rays are which, if you start sub dividing species and counting mini fish how sure are we that the fish would be correctly identified?

I am not.

Charlie

My views...

I'm not in favour of counting mini species. Just like Charlie, it would take the fun out of the competition if I had to scratch around for small fish just to stay competitive. I'd probably loose interest in the comps.

I would be in favour of including the various rays, wrasse and mullet as different species. As a "fishing" club we ought to encourage our members to be able to identify the different species. Even if a member miss-identifies a ray they should be able to tell that it was a different species to the others they have caught on the day.

This would also give guys that are restricted to the harbour or close inshore waters a better chance of adding more species and therefore being more competitive with the bigger boats.

Personally, I find the species comps very hard work because of the amount of moving about you have to do to stay competitive. If we included the different rays, wrasses and mullet, we would at least have the option of staying put for longer in the hope of getting a different ray or wrasse, or taking the chance of moving to other grounds for completely different species. It would be your judgement call.

Bob F.