Live bait pump

mickburder

Mick

If you can find the space and weight capacity, I would still go fo a small live well with 'water pump' system. Reason being that aerators ALWAYS heat up the water quickly as the air is compressed. The oxygen budget is lost quickly as the water warms up, as the warmer the water, the less oxygen it carries. In this regard, a small raw water pump will be far more effective overall.

Just my 2p

Trev

i agree with Trev.

Also as the water warms up the fishes metabolism speeds up so they need more oxygen.

If you have to go the air stone route rather than raw water then you will need to change the water regulary.

What are you trying to keep alive?

If sandeels then try a coolbox with ice packs in the bottom and keep the eels between sheets of wet newspaper.

All depends on what you want to keep alive... as previously mentioned. small livebaits like pollack will live all day in a bucket changed over a few times an hour.

wink.gif

Mackerel will die for many reasons all too quickly... but 90% of the clubs livebaiters will be using a bilge pump over the side hooked up to their battery - it uses less than an amp, so can run all day.

I use this tank for rinsing my engine on the mooring - and can double up for baits. This year I added the bilge pump instead of using my deckwask - but there's enough flexibility to put the water in the top or the bottom. Mine overflows to the deck - but if your decks are not self draining, then sit the tank up on a stand so it overflows back over the side .

Paul rolleyes.gif

user posted image

Edited by Sinbad