JIGGING

transportline205

Just wondered if anyone can recomend a good rod for working a lure whilst wreck fishing

At the moment i have an 8ft6" Shimano Speedmaster supplied by Weymouth Angling complete with the tekota 500Lc multiplier which is great

I like using the longer rod and it has a great foregrip and nice long butt, however i have found it to be a tiny bit soft on the tip and missed a few good takes i believe because i'm not setting the hook properly

I checked the sharpness of my hook and it was fine. The test curve of my shimano is 12/20lbs would there be a benifit from going 30lb class any advice always appreciated cheers Rob.

Unless you go for the Shimano Antares, you'll find all Shimano boat rods with a soft through action.

I agree a longer rod is an advantage for working lures. You really want a medium - fast action.

Take a look at: Diawa Kenzaki or the Abu Conolon / Suveran. There are plenty of others but these will give you a feel for what I recommend. It also depends on your budget.

Adam

I know exactly what you mean.I love my 20/40 MTI but if I get a hit from a decent cod I struggle with the first part of the fight in 200ft of water.As with setting the hook I have found that is usually down to the speed of the retrieve.Every day is different and a lot of feel is sometimes required but normally I have found that speeding up the retrieve after the pluck normally induces a positive hit.

The rod I find a bit better at this is my Diawa TDX 12/30lb class or Alba 12lb class.

Everybody has their favourite rods , methods ,reels and if you would like to try any of mine you're more than welcome before you splash the cash

Nige

P.S I think you're reel is only 4.2 :1 ratio I prefer 5.2:1

Edited by niggle

Thanks Adam i already have a 12/20 kenzaki but there is not a lot of difference slightly stiffer on the tip but not much, however i will check out the others you mention and i assume 30lbs tc is not ideal?

I think it's always going to be a challenge to rod makers to produce a blank that covers every eventuality but i will see whats about, it's a heads up for anyone about to do a bit of jigging to avoid loosing any takes especialy when there isnt so much tide wink.gif thanks again for the advice. oh' and i'm affraid fishing is my guilty pleasure so Budget! what's that? biggrin.gif if it's shinny it's miiiiiiiiiiiine rolleyes.gif

Hi again

sometimes with jigging/hopping you just have to accept that not all fish get hooked correctly, some are just nicked and during the fight they get off.

we have seen a few get to the net like that so it certainly happens.

If however you are losing them and others with stiffer rods are not you may want to change rods. I usually use a kensaki 12-20, but itf I am using bigger hooks or losing fish I sometimes change to my 20-30.

Nigle

I must be a tart too, as I have a new shiny gold avetSX just waiting for line ready for the much awaited alderney trip.

Charlie