Yamaha service, where's best?

Simon

Hi guys,

My outboard needs it's first annual service. I need to find a yamaha approved mechanic has I don't want to invalidate the remaining 4 years warranty. Just wondered if anybody had any recommendations. Is salterns my best option? They have just quoted a few pound sort of

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks guys. I tried them but unfortunately they are not yet approved by Yamaha for the servicing. I hope they will be soon as there is no competion in the area. sad.gif

Salterns is the only option but unfortunately they can't do it until 5th of may.

I also tried Mobile Marine Engineers ltd in Axminster who said they did a lot of work locally but they never called me back. After hearing nothing, I rang them 3 times over a 2 week period and spoke with Colin and Gary. Each time they kept saying they would get back to me in a few days but they never called. If they were not interested I wish they would have said so from the start! sad.gifsad.gifsad.gif

Anyway my bigger problem is that I may have blown my remaining 3yrs 8 mths warranty as my service will be over one month overdue. sad.gif

I know I should have been better organised, but what can/should I do to try a safeguard the warranty? I thought I had 100hrs to go from the last service but unfortunately forgot about the timeline.

The warranty handbook shows the engine was purchased 24/12/2009 and that a pre-delivery inspection was done the same day. (previous owner said engine was installed mid Jan 2010 but this is not shown anywhere). A 20hr service was done on 19/03/2010. I understood the next service was due in 100hrs (i.e 20hrs + 100hrs = 120hrs on the clock).

Anyway I've now realised the 1 year timeline means the service should have been done on 19/03/2011.

I'm currently showing 106hrs on the clock.

I called yamaha to try and find out if I have invalided the warranty. They said not necessarily but were very wooly and could not give me a definate answer.

To be honest if I've screwed the warranty, I probably wouldn't use salterns (nothing against them as I've not used them before but I just find

Did you try Poole Marine Services ?

I don't know if they can do Yamaha but worth the phone call.

Jim

Poole Marine ServicesPoole Marine Services

West Quay Road

Poole, Dorset BH15 1HX

01202 679 577

I called yamaha to try and find out if I have invalided the warranty. They said not necessarily but were very wooly and could not give me a definate answer.

Simon

The crux of this is that any claim is normally through the dealership doing the servicing (or installation) because you get them to sort problems etc.

Simon, probably too late now but I've always used Elford marine services 01202 468816 / 07802 297547.

I dont know if he's still working full time, I need also to book a service. He's mobile so comes to Poole area. I've always assumed he's Yamaha approved ?????

Paul

Thanks Jim, tried them but unfortunately they don't do yamaha (they do Honda & Evinrude).

Cheers Duncan, she's booked it with Salterns on the 5th so I'll stick with them now and see what they say about the warranty. I'll keep my fingers crossed.

Thanks Paul, I'll may give him a try next year as mobile sounds good to me. Island Girl's at Rockley, the trailer's in Hurn and I haven't got a towball. It would make it a lot easier for me.

Simon

• 2 weeks later...

They said it should be ok mike smile.gif, although I'm still tempted to try and get some form of confirmation in writing.

You're not far wrong there Rob blink.gif, it started me wondering what the likely cost will be in yr 2,3,4. I wonder if there are any expensive parts which need changed as part of those services.

I hear you Jim. If I had bought the engine brand new I would certainly have had a closer look at at the 150 e-tec and tried to compare the 2 on a total cost of ownership basis over say 5 years. (although I guess it would be hard to find any published data!)

Paul, that's interesting to know for the future thanks.

Cheers simon

As I understand it the manufacturers offer a warranty for a period during which they consider nothing will go wrong with their engines and I thought that Yamahas were so reliable that nothing ever went wrong with them anyway?

I never had to use the warranty on any of the four brand new outboards Ive bought in my time. One was a Johnson and the other three were Mariners--maybe I've just been lucky or my gentle use of the throttle has helped. In one case I was stung by a main dealer service but since then I've not been back.

The complexity of modern 4 strokes means that there is more of a likelihood of trouble but the cost of the main dealer services looks like an excuse to print money.

It appears to be a niche in the market for some enterprising marine engineer to get the warranty accreditation and undercut the big boys--the opportunity is there.

I'll be looking for a new engine within the next few years as mine is in its 14th season so I'll be watching this thread carefully.

Petesnr

As I understand it the manufacturers offer a warranty for a period during which they consider nothing will go wrong with their engines and I thought that Yamaha's were so reliable that nothing ever went wrong with them anyway?

And I believe in fairy's!!.. ohmy.gifohmy.gif

.I've had issue with all the new engines I have bought, and I can say that they have all been repaired under warranty....but the first thing they check is that the service schedule is up to date and that it was undertaken by an authorised agent/ service company....which you will find is always a main dealer for the engine, as that is part of the dealers pirks.....

This was also the case for car dealerships until a few years ago...but alas the marine scene has not followed suit.

When you encounter a major problem with an engine I have always found that if you have a quite chat with engineer, 9 times out of 10 they are already aware of the fault at the manufacturer, but unlike the motor industry they do not recall the engine, they just hedge their bets, as most boat owners only do an average of 30 engine hrs per year.

If its a major fault they address the problem on next years model....I know this from first hand experience ...ask PaulD , we nearly run out of fuel coming back from Alderney(luckily we had spare tanks on board) all because of a known fault on the o2 sensor on my Honda 225!!! which costs about