Kimmeridge 10/04/11 - 6 species

Overrun

On the water for 10:00, light breeze off the land, conditions flat. Couple of boats over the mark, including a charter. Approx. 1 mile paddle, tide running eastwards and building. Buoyed off on a disused pot, fishfinder indicating 70ft, not really where I wanted to be but close enough.

An hour passed, moved to another buoy 100 yards south, 30 minutes there and went on the drift. Easterly wind all but gone, drifted a trifle quick with the tide. Something on the Hokkai, saved a blank with a pound Pollock. Anchored right in the middle of my preferred spot, tide around 1.5 knots in 60ft, 6ozs on both rods.

Couple of good bites on the big baits, nothing on baited hokkai. Few more bites and bearing more than a passing resemblance to Bream, again on big baits. The Squid was being nicked and Mackerel left, changed the Squid hook to size 1, Mackerel on a 3/0. Cut one of the hokkai green bodies off, leaving only a red tuft, in case the Bream were being put-off in the gin clear conditions. Tide easing slightly, few more plucking bites on big baits, again definitely Bream. Switched on the fishfinder, shoal of something at mid water, probably Launce. Set the hokkai in the middle and fish on:

user posted image

Which I'm guessing is Herring? Boated two more and dropped a couple before they moved on. Other rod nodded into action, had to be Bream by the feel of it and sure enough, delighted to see this feller:

user posted image

Male, 2 and half, caught on the bottom hook, a 3/0! Meanwhile, bounced the hokkai near the bottom and thought I'd snagged, then it took off, pulling hard. Began to give-up at mid water, suspected another Pollock, but no, a good sized Ballan:

user posted image

Next drop and a repeat performance, only it was a Pollock, reasonable size for Kimmeridge:

user posted image

A few more minutes and another shoal at mid-water, connected straight away, Mackerel! Back on the bottom and something smaller, a pair of Launce.

user posted image

Tide all but gone, still the odd Bream bite on the other rod, then bang on the hokkai again, and finally a Bream there too, another male and slightly bigger.

user posted image

Time getting on packed-up the big rod and went on the drift with hokkai, yet another Pollock of around 2lb and one more Mackerel

6 species, and fish for tea, can't be bad for mid April.

user posted image