fishfight follow up

mike02380

dogfish were a reasonable catch and had a market ('rock') but, despite the apparent abundance they were importing them and the price went to high.

whilst I don't like to sound negative but pout don't really lend themselves to selective sustainable fishing; they are a mixed habitat fish that frequently mix with large quantities of immature/juvenile so how this becomes a sustainable fishery beats me!

I have huge respect for Tesco's fishmongers - filleting pout is almost an oxymoron!

Finally, pout are one of the main food sources for many of the species this is supposed to help........ hmmmm

Problematic isnt it! It appears to me that switching from one species to another does not address the basic problem that our fisheries are unsustainable at the current population levels.

What is needed is restoration of stock levels so that cod stocks or whatever species we prefer to eat are not adversely affected by commercial exploitation. And if the stock is not damaged by commercial activity it follows that recreational activity will have no effect at all.

At the current stock levels there probably are some places where intense charter angling is a factor which should never be the case with a healthy stock.

Pout is nice and the bigger the better but how long before there are only tiddlers left?

I also take Duncan's point about pout being in a mixed fishery and providing food for cod etc.

Bottom line is no simple answer without letting stock levels rise.

Petesnr

I blame the vegetarians, not only do the produce more methane with their diet - but most of them eat fish (becasue it is not an aniumal but a vegetable, what, eh, um!!!!).

So......they eat more fish (that isn't meat!!! Probably wear leather shoes too!), and they contribute to global warming more with their output too!!!

laugh.giflaugh.gif

Finally, pout are one of the main food sources for many of the species this is supposed to help........ hmmmm

Thats what i thought, it might be good short term but..........

Perhaps we need to rotate what goes into our fishfingers etc instead of hitting one or two species too hard

PJ

I blame the vegetarians, not only do the produce more methane with their diet - but most of them eat fish (becasue it is not an aniumal but a vegetable, what, eh, um!!!!).

So......they eat more fish (that isn't meat!!! Probably wear leather shoes too!), and they contribute to global warming more with their output too!!!

laugh.giflaugh.gif

Sounds like a lot of hot air to me! blink.gifbiggrin.gifbiggrin.gif

Tomo