How secure is your trailer?

Newboy

Oooops! tongue.gif

We have all done similar things, and any one who says he hasn't is a liar liar pants on fire! laugh.gif

If I were you I would go back to where you bought it and get your money back. Quality and fitness of purpose etc. And if you want to be REALLY cheeky say the boat was nicked and you are suing them for the value of it rolleyes.gif

Mad Mike

Kam, have you thought of a ground anchor instead of a wheel clamp?? If the trailer is parked in the same spot every time you get home, whack one of these into the ground with anchor bolts, and use a length of motorcycle chain and security padlock to fix your pride and joy. I have this set up for all my machines in my store, behind steel doors, with a class one alarm system. It reduces insurance costs too. When you take the boat out, the chain and padlock can be employed to secure the trailer to your vehicle, around the axle, no bugger can remove the bloomin' thing then!!!

My kit came from a motorcycle outlet, and cost me just over a hundred quid, but when thousands of pounds worth of kit is protected, you cant complain.

Rich

Kam, have you thought of a ground anchor instead of a wheel clamp?? If the trailer is parked in the same spot every time you get home, whack one of these into the ground with anchor bolts, and use a length of motorcycle chain and security padlock to fix your pride and joy. I have this set up for all my machines in my store, behind steel doors, with a class one alarm system. It reduces insurance costs too. When you take the boat out, the chain and padlock can be employed to secure the trailer to your vehicle, around the axle, no bugger can remove the bloomin' thing then!!!

My kit came from a motorcycle outlet, and cost me just over a hundred quid, but when thousands of pounds worth of kit is protected, you cant complain.

Rich

Rich,

I'm sure that you're right, that there are more secure systems than off the shelf wheel clamps...

However, if your insurance states that while the boat is stored on the trailer it must be secired by a "wheel clamp", what can you do?

Obviously the objective is not to have it stolen... if it's not stolen then there is no claim and the insurance company are none the wiser!

I suppose Kam is now lucky in that he can secure his boat by any means he likes... and if it does go missing - just lay the bent clamp where the boat once stood, take a picture and assure the insurance company that it was fitted before the boat dissapeared! huh.gif

I use a wheel clamp and hitch-lock... the wheel clamp was one of the cheaper ones but it is very sturdy, covers all the wheel nuts and has no padlock shackle that could easily be cut - downside is it's a bitch to put on! sad.gif

Alan

I suppose Kam is now lucky in that he can secure his boat by any means he likes... and if it does go missing - just lay the bent clamp where the boat once stood, take a picture and assure the insurance company that it was fitted before the boat dissapeared! huh.gif

My thought exactly. cool.gif

Back on the insurance condition, one of the insurance company who I'd a quote from, insist on the trailer being chained to an inmovable object. I was think of a very small chain to a small bracket screwed on the garage wall ........ tongue.gif