Auxiliary bracket

Coddy

Hi Guys & Gals

I am about to fit an auxiliary bracket to my Warrior 165

Which side is best? unsure.gif

Looking at the back of the boat, towards for'ard, all the cables etc come out from the starboard side but I also want to fit a bording ladder/step.

Is it better to fit the bracket over the cables and have the step over a clear area?

Your thoughts please? unsure.gif

Coddy

cool.gif

Coddy!!!......see mine,

It was fiited by Warrior at the factory, so it must be right - dont go drilling any holes! - Ill PM you in the next day or so with the measurements and a photo. It is on the port side, high up level with the bilge skin fitting on the starboard side.

Adam

PS - it was a blessing in disguise...during my little 'incident' on Sun, the bracket got wedged against a huge wooden post, stopping the boat from going right over and protecting my new engine! - see they have more than one use!

Coddy!!!......see mine,

It was fiited by Warrior at the factory, so it must be right - dont go drilling any holes! - Ill PM you in the next day or so with the measurements and a photo. It is on the port side, high up level with the bilge skin fitting on the starboard side.

Adam

PS - it was a blessing in disguise...during my little 'incident' on Sun, the bracket got wedged against a huge wooden post, stopping the boat from going right over and protecting my new engine! - see they have more than one use!

Hi Adam

Thanks for the info, will look forward to the deatils on BW.

I havn't had a chance to work on the boat for a week or three as I seem to be travelling around a lot at work. weep.gif

Drove up to Scotland last Tuesday then down to Birmingham Thursday and Cardif Friday!

Anyone wants to buy my car?

2yrs old 108,000+ miles

Will have to wait for another 2yrs when the lease runs out...... expected milage 200,000+ miles. Engine will be well run in by then. unsure.gif

Off to Gibraltar on Tuesday for a 24hrs then Barcelona for 3 days! sick.gif

Shame I have to work!

Coddy

cool.gif

Coddy:

A few photos of the bracket on BW. I find that this position is perfect. The only downside is when the aux is tilted and you are using the rear port rod holder, the reel handle can rub on the aux cowl - just a case of either tilting down the engine.

Incidently, the bolts which hold the bracket on have a dual purpose, for the inside of the bolts (Under the transom) hold the battery switch on a plywood mounting worthing thinking about as it is nicley out of the way and means the bracket would have to pull a 8x6" piece of 1" marine ply through the transom before it broke away.

post-9-1096738526.jpg

Look closely at the second picture, youll see a fixed toe step. I think this is the cheapest option, and IMO the best. It doesnt get in the way, is adiquate to board and dismount the boat and is the cheapest option, I wouldnt have a ladder, too cumbersome on a small boat.

I have a pair od step handle (steps as well as handle when moving the boat) if you want. I bought them for my Shetland but never fitted them on. Now my boat has a boarding ladder and I havce no use for them.

They are made of hard black plastic (probably nylon or something). Let me know if you want them.

Kam

Hi Kam

Thanks for the offer which I would like to take up.

I have just found out that we are due to move the first week of November so I might even make it for my first club meet blink.gifblink.gif

As I don't know where I will be living yet, can I can come back to you with an address or meet you down the club.

Regards

Coddy

cool.gif

Just been thinking, the positioning (height) of the bracket must differ from boat to boat and affecting by other factors.

When fitting the main outboard, the bottom of the hull must line up with the cativating (?) plate on the outboard. However, when fitting an aux outboard, it is on the side so for a v hull board, to line up the plate, the bracket must be higher than the transom of the boat.

Surely the height of the bracket can also be determined by whether it is a long or short shaft outboard.

Am I making sense or am I speaking crap?! blink.gif

Speaking crap! tongue.gif - The brackets have quite a huge amount of adjustability, so as long as the engine when tilted down, and when the bracket is on its lowest setting the engine has enough in the water to work without cavitating too much.

In rough seas my Aux can cavitate a little, but it is only a back up and something I can live with.

Adam

The height is adjustable ( ie. Can lower the aux to be deeper in the water or higher ). The main problem I had was getting the bracket high enough to keep the outboard out of the water ( Mine still drags slightly in the water - but not too bad ).

Most authorities recommend that the cavitation plate of the main outboard is about 1 inch below the bottom of the transom. Any higher could result in cavitation caused by the prop sucking surface air .

Mounting position for a small auxilliary is not nearly so critical as the main engine but still should be mounted so when it is being used it's anti-cavitation plate is in free clear water and not masked by the transom.

Tie a piece of string round your main engines anti-cavitation plate and using a spirit level take the string out horizontally on the side you want to fix your bracket.

Fix the other end of the string to something (I don't bloody know use your imagination mad.gif ) so that it maintains a level line with the O/B anti-cavitation plate. Measure the hight from the anti-cavitation plate of the auxilliary to the inside bottom of its mounting saddle. Measure up from the string the measurement you have just taken and mark on the transom with a pencil line. This represents the hight of the top of the O/B mounting pad of the bracket when the auxilliary O/B is in its WORKING position.

Mad Mike

Downside is my auxiliary bracket is not hieght adjustable ie fully down or fully up dry.gif so I will have to make a judgement call blink.gif

Coddy

cool.gif

Most can be fitted in the 'in use' position and then tilted up so the leg is out of the water. One of the things I liked about the old Seagull O/B was that one could slide them verticaly up their mounting bracket and then tilt them.

Mad Mike