Poole dive team recommendation?

AHoy

While doing some maintenance on the boat yesterday I noticed when turning the prop shaft by hand that there was a scraping sound occurring over about a third of the shaft revolution (in either direction). Seems like I either have something fouling the prop or shaft or the shaft anode has slipped and is contacting the P-bracket. Can't get a lift at Cobbs Quay for best part of two weeks as no boat hoist operators available (one on hols, one sick)! I'm reluctant to move the boat far under power until I know what the problem is, so trying to scrounge an underwater camera and have a look first. Seems like a diver might be necessary to do a fix, but marina regs stipulate a commercial dive team, no freelancers. Any suggestions and idea of cost - or alternative boat hoist?

Good boaty timing as always, planning a week away with the boat next week, and so far there is the prop issue, found the exhaust hose is cracking and needs replacing plus the service batteries have died! sad.gif

Alan.

Hi Alan,

It does sound like a shaft anode come loose, and working up/down the shaft depending on water flow and direction of shaft rotation.

Option 1: Davis's boatyard next door;

Option 2: Tie boat alongside the top of Cobb's slipway 1 hour after 2nd high, nudge in till just touching, lean inwards slightly using main halyard lots of fenders and warps....and look underneath from the dinghy as the tide falls. You'll be there a good few hours, and should float off on next first high.

Option 3: Local yacht club - PooleYC is closest, then Parkstone - keep the revs down to minimise the risk of damage!

Good luck!

Mike

Thanks for the suggestions Mike. May be able to get a lift-and-hold at Davis's, will get a price off them. Don't think Cobbs allow drying out on the slip but worth asking anyway - interesting place to get neaped ohmy.gif .

An alternative is to sail to Cowes Sealift, but I would want to have a better idea of the problem first, hence camera quest.

Alan.

Edit: I thought the Yacht Clubs were members only for maintenance work but can give them a call as well.

Edited by AHoy

Hi Alan

Give me a call on my mobile 07887 794716 or my office 738824 in the morning and we can discuss options

I have a diver we use often if Cobbs will allow him in the water on site

a boat lifter the same as cobbs, but that would be last resort as you would have to motor to PYC

and an engineer localy with an underwater camera.

sure we can get you back on holiday plans

Charlie

All sorted now, it was a loose shaft anode. Excellent service from Sea Start who arranged for a diver to investigate/fix problem.

Need to rethink the anode set up now, will probably fit a hull anode as I have never been keen on shaft anodes.

Exhaust hose and batteries also replaced - will have to be a cheapo holiday now!

Thanks for the advice/offers of help.

Alan.