Swanage to Dancing Ledge 06/07/10

Overrun

Swanage to Dancing Ledge 06/07/10

A trip planned last year, somehow never happened, until now. A little more time would have been beneficial, especially for the fishing. Primary goals were to understand the section of water between Swanage and St Albans, allowing future trips through to Kimmeridge, and access feasibility of fishing marks off Durlston Head and Dancing Ledge in the Kayak.

Arrived reasonably early at Swanage, parked in De Moulham road for free, 100 yards to the beach adjacent to the Victoria road breakwater. Launched just after 08:00, unfortunately needed to return by 13:00 latest as a commitment in the afternoon.

Conditions were windless and flat, with a little apprehension paddled past the pier and on to Peveril Point. The race quite obvious as mid-ebb, paddled well inside the buoy marking the outer end and through:

user posted image

Looked Bassy and quite benign, you can see how this would kick-up on a bigger tide or southly blow, reminded me of the Beerpan rocks at Hengistbury Head, although smaller.

Paddled across Durleston bay, appears to have a nice sandy bottom and worthy of a visit after dark.

The next point of interest was Durlston Head, couldn't see a race further out, although a reasonable current around 2 knots flowing close-in.

user posted image

On to Anvil Point.

user posted image

On rounding Anvil, a stunning view along the coast towards St.Albans.

user posted image

Missed most of the wildlife as 800 yards offshore until Dancing Ledge, the seabed claimed two sets of gear, very snaggy. Turned south and on to a kidney shaped bank approx. 1 mile south.

View back to Anvil:

user posted image

Further out the seabed cleaned-up, gravel(?) on the chart, paused intermittently to bottom fish, plenty of Bream on the fishfinder, failed to connect with the bites and not exactly feeding hard. Net drifting speed around 0.5 knot at the bank, last of the west going ebb stream.

Time getting on, the return journey started just as the east going flood stream began. Felt strangely exposed, an occasional swell reminding me that this would be no place to be in poor conditions. Made good time with a 1.5 knot assist near Anvil and the forecast SW breeze stiring.

No race at Peveril, spied a commotion on the surface over the ledge. First thought a sea bird, closer inspection revealed no bird, just a floating cuttle bone, being hit from below cool.gif . Sadly out of time and no poppers in the tackle box, noted for next visit.

On the beach for 12:30, two Mackerel and a tiny Pollock the tally for the day, but it wasn't about fishing. Having completed both ends to St.Albans, next step is to paddle Swanage to Kimmeridge or vice versa, and fish one or two of those marks.

Edited by Overrun

Nice one James and a very good call to use a calm day and neap tide.

If you get the chance go around by road and have a look at the peveril race at mid tide on a calm day from the coastguard hut, as Martin says far fron benign.

I too have had some scarry moments there on this boat and the last unsure.gif

Please be very careful

The pollack and wrasse fishing inshore by blackers hole and Dancing ledges can be good, and I have had a 40lb tope close in there so a big bait fished just off the bottom may get you a tow wink.gifblink.gif

Stay safe

Charlie

One memorable day early on after aquiring Imagine, fishing with AlunJ, we went round StAlbans to get out of the swell at Dancing Ledge, but coming back my 20' boat just fitted between the sets of collossal waves with each going over the top and hitting the deck - they must have been 2m easily. Only by going inshore almost able to touch the cliff face is it deep and the going easier, but its a long long slog to Durlston and no respite... also the tide rips across the ledges creating those spectacular overfalls I doubt if it is less than 4-5 knts at times.

Other than that, a perfect day biggrin.gif

Your pictures look fantastic - I have never seen it that flat!!!!

Take care....

Paul

Thanks for your concerns guys, it's all in the research & planning. This is one of those trips where you can only decide on the day if it's safe. Certainly won't be round there in anything other than perfect conditions and lesser tides.

Cheers

James

James

Fantastic report and pics......thanks....BUT to echo the others.....I have had some wingers along there when on friends boats in the past....Seemingly comes out of nowhere !!! one minute consistent conditions and plain sailing .....then "wham" into rips and turmoil and even when the wind is moderate.... thumping hulls .... not nice under sail or in a 23+ m/c so goodness knows what it would be like in a yak.

Take care.....be safe

Dave biggrin.gifbiggrin.gifbiggrin.gif

Have distinct memories of going over Peveril Ledge in Alfresco on one of her first trips out and seeing nothing but green water through the windows.

I was wondering at the time if Charlie had doen a good job building her. Thankfully he had smile.gifsmile.gif

• 2 months later...