cheap reels

Sam

hi all

i thought it was it woz about time i brought my own rod and reel ive already got an ugly stik but i wanted sumin lighter something that i cn use in the harbour and outside with a multiplier

yours sincerly

sam chapman

ps bob them red mullet were caught in the dinghie by parkstone yacht club we were rowing around

Sam,

I bought a couple of cheap Ron Thompson outfits for my lad. The rods were ok but the multipliers were useless. The reels gave up after a few months. I read similar reports about the "cheap" makes of reels.

If you cannot afford new, my advice would be to look for a second hand Penn, Shimano or Abu. Even if they are a bit battered and broken they can easily be fixed.

As for rods, I'd stick with the Ugly Sticks. The 12lb class would be a nice rod for the bay. I use the Ugly Stick spinning rod when in the harbour.

Bob F.

Sam, I would tend to agree with Coddy. There are many inexpensive reels that are very good. Mind you inexpensive is not to be confused with cheap. One does not have to spend a fortune to get a reasonable quality. And even more importantly just because something is expensive does not mean its good or 'better than'. One thing ALL anglers do is amass fishing gear. Reels particularly, so it is inevitable that you will in time buy more reels. So whats the point in spending

...it is, but beware!

make sure you know what you what, and what price you should pay for it, their are many bargins to be had on ebay, but also a lot of rip offs - have a look every now and then you get a bargin, but to be on the safe side your local tackle shop will also have decent offers.

thanks for that guys

i think i will go with your advice and buy one of them for a cheap price.

do you know if it is worth lookng on ebay for a cheap reel

tight lines

sam

It isn't very fair but if you are on a limited buget go to tackle shops and have a real good feely touchy with all the reels that you think you would be interested in. Doing this will firm up your mind and give you an idea of what you would have to pay retail. Then have a look at what ebay has to offer (don't forget to add the post and packing charge to what you would have to pay). Having said that I buy ALL my stuff on e-bay and have saved a packet. Just get an idea of what's what first. The other thing to do is look at the sellers feedback (that's the number in brackets next to their name). See what other people who have delt with him think.

Mad (but not daft) Mike

Some shops will NOT match web prices. I wanted to support my local shop in Poole and so went in with the intention of buying an Abu 6600LD, if they could match or get very close to the web prices. The reply I got was very aggressive and left me in no uncertain terms that they do not negotiate on price. mad.gif

Needless to say, I bought the reel from the web. sad.gif

Bob F.

I have just been down to see Andy at his shop ,

Poole Sea Angling Centre 01202 676597.

He is willing to try and match the Combo deals in the magazines, if he has the rods /reels in stock.

If not, if he can supply/quote for a suitable equivilent he will.

I have told him you may go and see him on Sunday Sam while I am at work.

Its nice to support the locals if we can

Charlie biggrin.gif

Some shops will NOT match web prices. I wanted to support my local shop in Poole and so went in with the intention of buying an Abu 6600LD, if they could match or get very close to the web prices. The reply I got was very aggressive and left me in no uncertain terms that they do not negotiate on price. mad.gif

Needless to say, I bought the reel from the web. sad.gif

Bob F.

You echo my experiances Bob. Some local businesses seem to act as though they have a right to ones custom.

Mad Mike