2 reports in one

Zzippy

Report 1.

As I had just finished my set of Nights at work and the weather looked good it would have been rude not to make the most of days off ;D

Yesterday I got up early(4.30 am) and made my way down to Durley chine.The conditions looked perfect for fishing Durley Rock,a light North wind and no surf.

user posted image

Got to the rock and found a pot buoy to tie my yak off too.I had a bucket full of groundbait which consisted of 5 mackerel,loads of sandeels, and 5 or six squid all liquidized up then a load of boiled rice added to firm it up.I had a big barbel swimfeeder connected to my shrimp rig and a 2oz lead below that.I loaded up the feeder left the top off and lowered down the 30 feet till it hit bottom.Gave it a good tug and watched the contents spill out on my fish finder.At least I could see the feeder working properly ;D

Then sat back and waited,and waited and waited.30 minutes had passed and not a touch on my baited shrimp rigs sad.gif

The North wind had picked up a bit by now,so I moved to another pot and tried again.Still nothing.

user posted image

So out with my second rod baited up with worm.I dont think it even hit the bottom before I had my first bite.

Up with fish number 1.A tiny Wrasse ;D

user posted image

Had a few more bites then even the wrasse stopped feeding.

I had been out on the water for 4 hours by now and my ass was dead sat in the same position :-/

Heard a shout from behind me and turned round to see Mike (Milo) Paddling over to me.

He tied off to a pot Buoy about 50 yards from me.

user posted image

Sat it out for another bite less hour and moved to the great big yellow pipe buoy and tied off to it,Mike came over and tied of to the bow of my kayak.

user posted image

I had one more wrasse and Mike lost a good fish.

Decided to call it a day at around 12.30 pm,paddled back to shore and had a chat and coffee.

Still no Bream yet.The Netter that paddles out from Durley Chine has had a few small Bream in his nets the last few days but nothing much

2nd Report (Today)

Got up this morning looked out the window and decided to use the rest of the worms I had left over from yesterday.

It was a later start as Low tide in Poole Harbor was at about 9.30 am.

Got to evening Hill car park and took my time setting up as the tide was still way out.

user posted image

user posted image

After about an hour the water had made enough for me to launch.

First spot was to Try the fuel Barge and drift up towards the Shell factory,The wind was pushing me towards Brownsea all the time so I had to deploy my Drouge which kept my drift right.

user posted image

Plenty of weed on the run through and no bites.

So next stop was to tie off to a mooring Buoy at the end of Brownsea.Still loads of weed.

Then decided to paddle against the tide and head over to a small fishing boat the was near Aunt Bessie Buoy.They had 2 plaice on board.

user posted image

I decided to have a few drifts on the edge of the main shipping channel.About 10 minutes into my Drift I had a tug and the rod went solid.Thought I had a big bit of weed on until I felt the thumping of a fish.

Managed this little beauty ;D

user posted image

Unhooked the plaice then paddled back to the start of my drift.

A few more minutes passed and I had another fish on.That one jumped the hook at the last minute.But it was only a small plaice.

Now the tide had eased off and the bites dried up.

So it was time to paddle back to Evening Hill and pack up.

Well 2 Lovely days on the water a nice sized Plaice and a very burnt face to show for it ;D ;D

Oh, forgot to add in the report....On the Tuesday we had a nice display by a pod of Dolphins for about an hour.They started near Poole patch then made their way slowly across the bay towards Bournemouth Pier.We could see where they were by the ammount of gulls flying above them.I was tempted to up anchor and paddle over for some photo's but I think I would have been playing catch up all the time smile.gif

Nice report mark thats a good looking plaice you got there did you manage to get one of the ones that come with the lemon juice or not

Oh, forgot to add in the report....On the Tuesday we had a nice display by a pod of Dolphins for about an hour.They started near Poole patch then made their way slowly across the bay towards Bournemouth Pier.We could see where they were by the ammount of gulls flying above them.I was tempted to up anchor and paddle over for some photo's but I think I would have been playing catch up all the time smile.gif

but look at the exercise you would of got biggrin.giftongue.gif

Edited by maver

Really nice report and great to see the Kayak boys doing well on the fish.

I stand to be corrected and cannot be 100% sure, but the Plaice does look suspiciously like a cracking Flounder.

It matters none at all, but Plaice spots tend to be more distinct. Flounder often take on red spots as your fish does, but they are sometimes more blotchy than those of the Plaice?

I am not to adept at my fish id's after once mistaking a Spurdog for a Tope so don't believe a word of my waffle, but it would be interesting to hear what some of those who are more skilled in Fish Id's have to say.

Anyway, great catch and great report.

Tom

Hiya Tom.

The fish had a line of raised hard bumps on its head which I think a plaice has.I have had some of those flounders with red blotches before and mistook them for plaice huh.gif

Here are a couple of better pictures of the fish.

user posted image

user posted image

It certainly tasted nice though smile.gif

It looks much more like a Plaice in those pics!

Still it would be lovely to get the full low down on differences between the two.

It's quite tricky when both can be caught on the same ground and we all know they can do a bit of a cammelian act when it comes to changing skin colour to suit the surrounding area.

Tom

Just got this from the UK Online Aquarium fish ID website and it certainly corresponds with your ID so I well and truly stand corrected! unsure.gif

Identification:

Eyes on the right, upper side, which is brown with prominent red-orange spots. Underside white. Scales are smooth and the lateral line is almost straight. A line of bony knobs runs along the head from lateral line to the eyes.

O.K. now you've done it !

When I've been flatty bashing and taken fish home for cleaning, I have noticed that some have eyes one side and some on the other.

I thought it was just evolution of the same species.

Are you saying they're a different fish ? ? ? ? ?

Jim

O.K. now you've done it !

When I've been flatty bashing and taken fish home for cleaning, I have noticed that some have eyes one side and some on the other.

I thought it was just evolution of the same species.

Are you saying they're a different fish ? ? ? ? ?

Jim

Beyond me Jim

I like to catch em and eat em.

Zippy's done a great job catching them.

Would be nice if we had our fishey ID experts to clarify exactly what differences we need to be looking out for.

Mark, well done. Nice fish. Not even going to remotely get involved in the PLaice?Flounder debate. I float fish. biggrin.gif

James good luck at Kim, the first came out last weekend but few and far between. A week later and a bit warmer should be about right.

Looking to join the club today just need to work out how it all works.

Good to see you on here Paul

Welcome to PBSBAC smile.gif

I thought you might be a bit busy this week with getting things ready for the kayak Tourney in Florida.

I am sure your all going to have a nice time over there wink.gif

Only frustration at the moment is that all my gear is packed and Saturday looks a great Bream day at Kimmeridge. Typical biggrin.gif

Still might need to give the pass issuer some attention this weekend, so probably for the best. tongue.gif