Which fixed spool reel??

djredrupp

Hey all!

Im looking to buy a new fixed-spool reel, to pair with a John Wilson Tideline 12lb 7ft rod, and to be fished with braid, but a bit unsure with the thousands of choices out there!!

Ideally, its got to be able to stand up to our usual fishing (hauling 1lb + leads off the floor, no fish...) as well as for trolling (which is why we are looking at fixed spool, for the faster retrieval speeds), and be reasonably priced around

Hi Dan,

I've become a fan of the Shimano Baitrunner B series for my bass fishing; very robust, smooth and, seemingly, saltwaterproof!

I use the smaller 3500B but the larger 4500B or 6500B might suit you better?

I think these reels are discontinued but you can still find them online and secondhand ones on eBay usually are in excellent condition [ due to points above!].

They are expensive... but worth the premium price.

I've never used a fixed spool to lift 1 lb weights......and am sure you find a multiplier more suited for this.

Alun.

Just wondered why a fixed spool for trolling and hauling 1lb leads? It might just be me but I'd choose a multiplier for both of those. High retrieval rates can be had with multipliers too but the ones I know of are over twice your suggested budget. You could do a lot worse than saving a bit more and going for a high speed Daiwa saltist 6.1 or 6.4 : 1 the later scorching in 47 inches per crank with a full spool.

If you were determined to have a fixed spool the you might take a look at the Penn Slammer. I have a couple of the LiveLiner version (that's a bait runner to the carp heads) for livebaiting for bass. Robust enough for light blue water game, tarpon that sorta stuff. Don't have a price but would be cheaper than the saltist.

Here's my Slammer LiveLiners

user posted image

Edited by Maverick

If you were determined to have a fixed spool the you might take a look at the Penn Slammer. I have a couple of the LiveLiner version (that's a bait runner to the carp heads)  for livebaiting for bass. .

Dan,

I would back up Wedger as I have a couple of the Penn bait runner Slammers and the clutch system is second to none, and they are built for salt water....Marvelous for live baiting for bass....and great for the cod on the Ripps on a light rod...and what's more you can now purchase them in the UK

Tomo

Ask about their use in saltwater as some are better than others. 

A lot of them seem to be used by guys carping... so no salt water there!

Need to have a proper browse on ebay - just dont want one thats all shiny on the outside, only to have corroded internals!!!

Dan

after a quick trip to wessex angling, weve settled for a Shimano Hyperloop 6000, which sounds more like a time machine than a fishing reel....

Kept it simple, with front drag, no baitrunner system to corrode up in the salt water!

And a nice new rod to go with it wink.gif

Cheers for the help guys!

Dan

• 1 year later...

I have been reading this threade with interest and am wondering if there is a difference between the standard SLAMMER and the LIVE LINER?

It's nearly time to tart up my fishing box :-)

and does anyone have any experience of this one? http://www.planetseafishing.com/reviews/P70/

Edited by Graham Nash

The Live Liner has a bait runner switch with it's own drag on the back to control live baits. The spool fighting drag is on the front.

The main purpose I use them for is live baiting for bass but they also get used for plaice, and turbos where the runner drag shows you the bite.

If you wish to have a look let me know.

They are very strong! Used for many year for blue water game.

cool.gif

Penn Slammers here

My 560 live liner lifted 15lb of pollack and a 2lb black bream from a 180' deep wreck on my Hiro bass rod............. that was. of course. after the pirk on the bottom of my feathers parted from it's swivel with what I think was the daddy of the other two pollack. Rod bent from the butt plate to the second eye with the rest of it straight down huh.gif

Strong kit both rod and reel!

cool.gif