Sandbanks to Old Harry Fitness paddle

seagypsy

Hi everyone ,

I have been arranging a trip with a few local members for a couple of weeks now and would like to make a proper meet of it. .

The plan is to meet at sandbanks beach carpark for 10.00am on Sunday 28th February 2010,, ,car park charge is

Edited by seagypsy

• 2 weeks later...

I have posted this on anglersafloat today , just a reminder for anyone thinking of coming down for it , , good to hear the plaice are in now

Re: February Fun & Fitness Paddle,28/2/2010, Poole

Didnt see any boats in the swash channel plaice fishing today , might be a bit early yet but maybe worth taking a handful of worms for a drift on the way back in next week , , wink.gif

Took a few pictures from the launch point today

[image]

[image]

The plan is stay close to the shore on the right on the way there , stop at knoll beach cafe for half an hour or so then get around old harry rocks towards the pinnacles by 3.00pm , this will give us about three hours of daylight left to get the flooding tide back on the return journey, bring a headtorch just in case wink.gif

[image]

[image]

Car park charge is only

• 2 weeks later...

Well even though the weather forecast was rubbish for sunday, we launched just before 11.00am for Old harry ,

user posted image

First of all we had a short paddle uptide to the harbour entrance then using the ebbing tide headed across to shell bay and passing close to the shore crossed the training bank into studland bay , By this time Stevo , Ivan and Darren in the SINKS were comfortably pulling away from Kojak ,Lee(shonzy) and myself on the SOT fishing vessels,

First stop Knoll beach for a coffee and few pics

user posted image

user posted image

user posted image

During this time Zed and Littlesal who had been at sandbanks but decided on not going as there was a very keen 12/15 mph NW blowing offshore , ,Fair play to them , they went back to get littlesal's 17ft fishing boat to meet us enroute in case we needed any assistance,

So after about half an hour standing around getting cold we set off for Old Harry Rocks ,

user posted image

user posted image

user posted image

user posted image

With the weather still on our side and some discussion about the tidal flows being a problem getting back we hatched a plan to get to the Rocks and back as soon as possible (i think). .

So a lovely sheltered paddle below the cliffs of ballard down along the coast and within an hour we were there, ,drifting around by the sea stacks , Now this is were i needed a waterproof camera, , i keep mine in a dry bag in my rod pod, but while i was getting it out the water suddenly became alot rougher , no time for pictures here , with the guys on the SINKS already feeling uncomfortable they headed back , within minutes there were white horses all around us, Time to get out of here !

Next came the gail force winds and torrential rain , Straight at us in the direction we needed to go, needless to say the paddling was slow , very slow , ok this is getting serious i thought , never seen so much water coming over the top of the Trident ,I did start to wonder if i was going to stay afloat ???

After about an hour of solid paddling into the wind and across the tide we made it back to knoll beach, , what a relief, , but by the time we landed the wind had dropped as the gail had blown out to sea, Honestly :-/

Littlesal and Zed had been on the way out there but spotted Lee heading for the beach

user posted image

user posted image

We took our time on the beach before heading back to the harbour entrance,

I tough paddle against the last of the ebb in the haven across the swash channel whilst trying to avoid the surf ripping over hook sands was fun , especially when i was sure i was out of it, a 4ft breaker caught me side on , God knows how i stayed on the yak ;D

Another 200 yards an we were back on the beach at sandbanks , greeted by the others who had got there sometime before us , , including Rory who had been on the beach with his family,

I must say it was a very enjoyable day out , but tough, not quite sure how many miles in total but i did have Zed's handheld GPS on board ,so hopefully he will upload the data to blue charts for all to see, ,

Well thats my account of the day , hope the others will add there's too, ,

PS I hope that everyone that reads this finds it enjoyable and informative . .

Thanks to those that came and sorry to those who didnt because of the weather , Theres always another time , ,

Regards

Ben

GPS DATA

Edited by seagypsy

Hi all,

were a pretty safety consious bunch, in one of the photos there is a white fast fisher type boat in it, It was Little Sal's boat with Graham and myself on it providing loose top cover and stopping in radio contact (just in case) whilst testing the boat and looking for Plaice.

All was good, and even without us being around at any time they could have turned left and headed onto the beach inside a few minutes.

Glad i didnt paddle it though biggrin.gif