YYS International Boat Challenge.

Swainiac

• 1 month later...

Well guys, what a swift and steep learning curve this comp is!

Day one saw foul weather with strong winds, so not much in the way of offshore species. All boats tucked in around the western edge of the harbour, but all in all, a huge number of species were taken, I beleive Tom took two trigers on two drifts, one of which should really have been weighed in for specimen..hey ho! I finished the day with 7 species, I think, and a total of 140ish points, 70% of boat winner.

Day two and can the weather get worse?? Same structure as day before, and a better result for me, finishing 4th on the boat, learning fast!! Caught a Garfish of 108%, which was leading the specimen board till the last day...Bugger!

Day three was the lure day, no baits at all, no scents, no power baits etc, and I drew a good posituion on the boat, right next to one of the Swedish lure fishing masters!!!! Good draw Rich......Not!! However, I squeezed 8 species, and finished 3rd on the boat, learning loads from the Swedes!!! Overall position had gone up to 50th!!!!! WOW!

Day four, another species hunt, best day for me, with 11 species, my first cuckoo wrasse, all 6 of them!!! sandeels, pollack, ballans, doggies, Red Gurnard, bull huss, mackerel, scad, Garfish, and poor cod.

Day five saw the light line event, all boats bagging up on Mackerel baits, then off to the conger grounds. I drew position one on Tger Lilly, which in the wind and tide direction couldnt have been worse!!! Bad workmen and tools I hear you say! I snagged two conger, got them clear of the rough ground and wreckage, only to lose them with the mono rubbing the keel of the boat.......double bugger! Why is it when scad, doggies, poor cod, and mackies dont count I manage to bag up on 'em?

A very poor 0% scored today, although some consolation, two internationals who drew the back of the boat failed to score also. I expect that this poor return saw me drop down in the 70's for the week, but I was well happy with my efforts, and will deffo be entering again next year. A big thanks to BB for all your help with rigs, and car parking bacon sarnies and general mirth...........good man Bill, love to fish with you again soon chap.

Regards to all, Rich