Cod rig

pirky

Total frustration has set in.....so I am going to take a couple of cod trips in the new year........need some advice and where better to ask ??

...the cod rigs I have seen all seem to go from 30lb braid straight to 50lb mono and use a penel rig set up with big squid baits.

??? Do they use a weak link between (say of 30lb mono) to avoid loosing braid in the event of a need to "pull for a break" Or do they rely on wear and tear of 50 lb mono or knot strength reduction for this ??

When are the lure and hopper rigs used as opposed to big baits.....or is it better to be prepared for both on the trip.

How much bait is usually required for a days fishing on a charter ?? All Squid or a mix with maccy ??

Thanks in anticipation

Dave biggrin.gifbiggrin.gifbiggrin.gifbiggrin.gif

Dave

You should attach a leader to your braid of about the same/ or slightly less breaking strain than your braid. Length I use is about 2 rod lengthsish. Your trace can then be whatever strength you like. I tend to use 60/70lb if you connect with a conger you have at least have half a chance.

Pennel rig squid on 6/0 - 8/0 sharp hooks but not the fine wire varieties.

Squid is fine on a charter for cod, mackerel is ok but will more than likely attract more dogs than anything else, that said cod will eat anything they find, cups & bic razors being just a few things I have found in them.

Martin

Dave

Might not be much of a new innovation, but has been to me -I used the quick link clips to join the trace to the leader swivel. You can bait up a spare trace and have this waiting. Also when dealing with tangles (esp on a charter) - its easier to unclip the trace.

Some rigs feature booms, but you dont have to use these - a zip slider does a good job. I wouldnt make the trace too long - stay with 3ft, to make sure the bait stays on the bottom.

Hope this helps....

Paul

Best advice I can give Dave, is to try and jump on one of the Members boats when they have spaces available

I am sure you would learn all you need.

I know Rory enjoyed his day on Sat with us, a steep learning curve on a far from flat day.

We would have taken more with us but the weather was a bit sloppy and it would have been tangles all around.

If I have spaces I will post

Charlie biggrin.gif

Thanks Charlie..........would be good but so far I haven't been in right place at right time......hence the charter boat resort.

I am collecting 20lb of frozen squid tomorrow in prep for a couple or more trips and also intend to get some terminal tackle sorted....

????? What about weights/leads.....Size and number allowing for losses 8oz 1lb 1.5lb ???

Regarding other options....Saturdays are the best days for me........Sundays are difficult because of Ben's footie and Weekdays are tied by the morning school run........early doors is not easy !!lol

Anyway no matter what happens I am hopefully going to get some cod trips in !!

Thanks again Chaps

Dave biggrin.gifbiggrin.gifbiggrin.gifbiggrin.gifbiggrin.gif