VHF Radios

wrasster

As a new club member who is lacking a VHF radio at this point in time, I feel that I am missing out on banter on the water and also salient information on where the fish are biting!! biggrin.gif

Are there any sets which other members could particularly recommend? I would be looking to purchase a GPS compatible model around the

The safety side of VHF radios is more important than the banter, even if used less often!

- Keeps you in touch with coastguard and other shipping;

- Allows help to pinpoint your position via triangulation;

- Has a range of up to 25 miles;

- Keeps you up to date with gale and strong wind warnings.

Might even save your life!

You will need a VHF licence for yourself, and a free one for the boat!

Oh, and by the way, I have a Cobra handheld radio, and haven't been over-impressed, largely due to the short battery life, and it's ability to discharge when not used. Some claim the Cobra's are not the way to go. In hindsight, I wish I had bought a higher quality model.

Mike

PS Feel free to let me know whenever the fish are biting and where!

Edited by Mike Fox

Get an Icom - I have a fixed one and Handheld (for 5 \ 6 years and still battery is great).

I can't comment on Navman but have no complaints re. Icom.

BTW there are 2 types when talking GPS compatiable. There are DSC only ones that have GPS data input and then the second type have input AND output.

This is where you can plot your mates MMSI's on you gps and see where they are! (if they authorise it!) - as far as I am aware no one in the club is stuipd enough to do this yet!!!

HTH

Rob