Christchurch Bassing

Phil V

Hi All,

I have recently managed to convince the missus that it was a good idea to buy a kayak after giving up my boat a couple of years ago (shortly after child number 2 arrived). I have some experience of bass fishing from boat and shore in the dorset area and would like to have a crack at bassing off christchurch/soutbourne.

Could anyone please give me some advice on the practicalities of fishing the ledge from a kayak? I plan to get some live bait and paddle out from soutbourne. I would normally drift the ledge when in a boat, but obviously that would be exhausting in a kayak, so will plan to tie on to a pot bouy and ledger my live bait.

I'm not after any trade secrets or 'hot marks' just some general advice would really be appreciated.

Many thanks.

Phil V

Hi Phil

No expert but here's my thoughts. Personally, not any success during daylight hours fishing for Bass on or near the Ledge. This may be due to an inability to drift with the tide, as you realised, drifting isn't on, especially on a big tide, which is probably going to be best for Bass. Or, and more likely, I don't know which part to fish!

Evening and after dark it's been different, and I've done well with a number of good Bass on Conger baits.

Talking of big tides, pot buoy is my preferred means of staying put. Loop your line around the buoy and tie both ends off at the Kayak(through your trolley), when it's time to go just realease one end. Saves leaning over the side or noosing the rope under the buoy. I'm assuming you know about trolleys etc. and try not to upset the potters, there's a few abandoned buoys down there. Mind you, a newly placed pot makes nice ground bait!

I usually launch from Southbourne into the last of the flood and drift/paddle to just off Hengistbury, then half-way down the Ledge. Return trip is on the ebb. The tide is very strong (as you will know) towards the end of the Ledge, best avoided on springs. Another consideration is the distance to be covered if the weather blows-up.

Anyway, good luck, be interested to hear how you get on!