reapir

bass man

biggrin.gifbiggrin.gifbiggrin.gifbiggrin.gifbiggrin.gif

hi all

as im still new to this i was wandering if anyone could let me know on how to reapir a small indent on a fibre glass boat

i have bought some

clear gelcoat and some catalyst

am right by mixing them both and get a smoth finish then once dryed sand back and paint????????

regards

ADAM

Try here, Adam, Gelcoat repairs.. If it's a little deeper, go to Fibreglass repairs. Fill first, then gel coat; as in everything, to get the best results requires good preparation. Good luck.

Terry.

By the way, the examples are from producers of the materials so substitute the brand you get here.

Where are you based Adam?

If you need pigment for the gelcoat (to colour the clear gelcoat to match the colour of the gelcoat on the boat), you can get it from the fibreglass place by Poole Lifting Bridge.

Better to try and match the gelcoat than paint over the top. Unless of course the area you're repairing is already painted! rolleyes.gif

C.

Adam

One thing you will need to know is, to get gelcoat to set hard you need to exclude air

On a small repair that is easy by putting tape over the gel and leave it to go off. on bigger repairs 2% styrene wax is added, this come to the surface and keeps air out.

Profesionals take great time and effort to match colours so that after flattening and smoothing with various grades of wet and dry the repair can not be seen and no need for painting. on newer boats gelcoat can be obtained from the makers to match

hope that helps

Charlie