Trailer lightboard positioning

charlieannear

Asking this question in a different part of the forum...

Hi Gents

As discusssed before, my trailer (although capable of carrying the weight) isn't really long enough for my boat.  Sadly a new roller coaster trailer is not on the cards any time soon, so instead I have been making a few amendments to it!

Until now I have had a standard trailer light board (i.e same width as a car) strapped to the outboard when I have towed the trailer to Baiter.

With the assistance of the ever-helpful Rob, I've come up with a way of supporting the correct width trailer lightboard on 'arms' extending from the rear of the trailer.  The arms are made from lightweight ventilation ducting which handily fit snugly over the box section of the trailer.  I need to trim them to length so that the trailer lighting board is in the correct position when it attached to the end of them.

Before I trim them to length, I thought I'd canvas the opinion of you chaps.

So, the question is, how long do these arms need to be?

A. Don't need to stick out as far as the engine skeg

B. Need to stick out the same distance as the engine skeg

C. Need to stick out further than the engine skeg

user posted image

Charlie,

On my trailer the "arms" wont reach back far enough to be beyond the skeg with the outboard fully tilted up.

I tilt the outboard so that it does not obscure the number plate and it extends something like a foot or so past the number plate.

Hope this helps

the answer has many variables but the approach I used to take in setting up my extending arms (standard as part of the trailer) was initially to have the board across the rear of the hull and the number plate to one side to clear the engine lower unit.

a very reasonable discussion with a gentleman of the constablary who requested I join him in the M27 services one fine evening, was that I would have been better served if I had the tariler board as the furthest back element of my rig. Not a requirement he was at pains to point out but a recomendation based on the problems people have at night when trying to judge the distance to the rear of your boat / engine / prop etc.

regarding the skeg etc I was always told to tow with the engine almost fully down, supported on a wooden wedge across the rams. clearly if your trailer is set up with no clearance this won't work for you and it was a function of taking the load of the hydraulics with large engines (90 and 175), but it made the above positioning a lot easier.

i'm the same as Paul D,

trailer board positioned tight as poss to the boat with steering turned to give a better picture of the number plate.

If you are worried about someone driving into your propeller, try one of the propeller bags with the warning triangle. dry.gif

Not to sure on the law with this one....but it would be nice to know the facts wink.gif

gary

From another website ( North Limcolnshire Council ) :-

These regulations vary slightly depending on the age of the trailer and the width of the towing vehicle, but this is what is normally required. The trailer board needs; two red rear lamps, two stop lamps, number plate and light, two red reflectors, two amber indicators, one rear red fog lamp, two white forward facing reflectors. In addition, if the trailers are more than 2.1 meters wide, they also need white forward facing lamps on the trailer board or mudguards. The lighting board must be wide enough so the outer edge of the rear lights is within 150mm of the outer edge of the boat. This lighting board should be positioned within one metre of the end of the total overhang (which is often the mast), or otherwise the end of the overhang would have to be lit with an addition reflector and red lamp. The lighting board should not be more than 1.5 metres off the ground. The trailer also requires at least two amber reflectors down each side.

Thanks guys.

Duncan's point (via the helpful Police Officer) regarding positioning the lightboard in such a way as to aid following traffic in judging the distance to the end of the vehicle (big lump of metal sticking out at around windscreen height) makes a lot of sense.

I think I'll chop the arms so that the lightboard sticks out as far as the end of the skeg.

Due to the ground clearance of the boat/trailer/engine, I tow with the engine fully 'up' with the towing support bracket in place and a prop bag on the prop/skeg.

In addition the weight of the engine is distributed across the transom rather than hanging off it.

The new 'correct width' lightboard has the correct lights/reflectors on it.

I have got some self adhesive orange reflectors to attach to the side of the trailer.

Boat trailers are exempt the part about having white/clear reflectors at the front of the trailer (because they narrow to a point, so don't really have a 'front') however, I have a clear reflector to attach to the front of each wheel arch, more to appease any over-zealous Traffic Officer than anything else! cool.gif

Thanks again guys and I hope this is useful to others!

C.