tuna tubes.... for mackerel??

djredrupp

Hi guys!

having seen these ( http://livebaitlarry.com/index.php?main_pa...products_id=152 ) for keeping big things alive in the US for tuna fishing... does anyone think a scaled down version would be feasible for mackerel in the UK?

Im thinking that 3 or 4 smaller tubes off the transom would take up a lot less space than a massive 100ltr livebait tank, and has the potential to expand to a few more tubes very easily...

Alright it wouldnt hold the "40 joeys with ease" as would Wedgers tanks, but im just wondering what people think about the potential for this!

any commets appreciated!!!

Dan

Hi Dan.

There is a red and white Warrior 175 that fishes out of Lymington (or at least used to) that has a homeade version fitted to his transom. Same principle, but with smaller tubes to suit the mackeral.

Pretty simple set up - same kind of pump used for a tank, fitted to a manifold made from plastic tubing to feed water into the tanks.

In my opinion, realistically you could only fit up to a dozen to your transom, which isnt alot of livebait when bassing....

Stick to a tank, it suits UK fishing better.

Adam

Hi Dan

I was impressed when I saw these in new Zealand

But as they do not have the adaptability of a tank they are a poor alternative.

My tank acts as bait tank, aquarium when we have young nephew onboard, and when flatty fishing it keeps the catch alive all day to be dealt with or returned at the end of the day. [including Adam and Dans turbot last May]

It also works well when wrecking to bleed the fish into prior to putting on ice.

My vote even with limited space would be a well set up tank

Charlie biggrin.gif