Spam email

Newboy

Just got a spam mail from myself (my ntlworld.com email account), when I reply to it (the sender) using my hotmail acc, my ntlworld account picks up the mail too, but I haven't been able to send anything out via this account for months.

So is my computer infected ot not? I'm up to date with AVG and Zone alarm updates.

Open up the e-mail and select file / properties then select the details tab

In the header you will see that either the Reply-To or the From field will be your other e-mail address.

Another tip is to NEVER reply to Spam mail as the sender then knows your account is active.

Open up the e-mail and select file / properties then select the details tab

In the header you will see that either the Reply-To or the From field will be your other e-mail address.

Another tip is to NEVER reply to Spam mail as the sender then knows your account is active.

It's kam.chan@ntlworld.com.... my email address, so was the email sent by my computer or somewhere else?

But as I've said, my ntlworld address wasn't set up to send emails.......

No what happens is the company sending SPAM mail doesn't want to get a flood of replies, so they use someone elses e-mail address in the "Reply to" or "From" field.

This way if you reply it goes to the person in the reply field.

Partly the reason that you should not reply to e-mail's which are Spam ones as they then know your e-mail address is valid and can use it.

ie. I could send an e-mail that appears to come from any e-mail address I like. Just because the display name is say "me@pbsbac.co.uk" it could have a real e-mail address to reply to of "someoneelse@wherever"

As a guess I would imagine you have replied to something and given your kam.chan e-mail address to reply to. Spammers have then picked this up and used as a return address.