Wheel bearing

Newboy

I'm tidying up my boat for sale and thought it would sound good to have 'new tyres and new bearings this year'.

I got the hob off, the nut, took the bearing (the bevelled bit with coasters), however, I'm unable to take the top half, the bit the coasters is in contact with, off.

It seem to be pretty secure and I can match up the bearing with out that part. I tried tapping it with a hammer.

Anyone know if there is a trick to get it off or not?

It needs to be 'drifted out' and to be honest if you are not sure of what your at it is best done by a mechanic. To a mechaanic with the right tools it is a moments work. I sugest that if you have a trailer center or a small friendly garage localy you take the wheels round to them. Better still ask if you can watch them do the job as you want to learn how to do it yourself..

Justa thought if you are coming down to Bournemouth at all, bring the wheels and I'll do it for you.

Mad Mike

I'd seen it done, except that time the racer came out in a few bang with a old screwdriver and a mallet.

I'll give it another go tomorrow, if it still won't shift then I'll take it to the mechanic.

One of the main reason I bought my old boat is that I want to work on it, just to get it out off my system. Everything on the new boat will be professionally done. I've book it in for the crack to be repair next week. I might not be the brightest, but even I won't let myself loose on my new boat .......

Ahhhh....the irish screwdriver!...know it well.

This is mainly learnt from Jimbo....if soemthing breaks on Tara, out comes the 'irish screwdriver', a good thump and its usually fixed!! biggrin.gif

The safety inspectors must have laughed when they did Tara's inspection....opening the toolkit only to find a hammer!!!! biggrin.gif