Sunday 4/7/04

Coddy

Hi all

I would first of all like to thank Paul J for being brave enough to crew for me and meeting up with Adam, Rich and Maverick. What a nice bunch you are and very helpful, I am really pleased to have joined such a frendly club and I hope I can make it down to one of your meetings before too long. biggrin.gif

To the report.

After launching we headed out following Blue Warrior toward Swanage bay for mackeral. It seemed that the fish knew from the start which boat to get to, to commit suicide as Adam seemed to just reel them in and in and in ......... mad.gif

Meanwhile Paul and I struggled to get some to begin with. wink.gif

We then went out to a Tope spot and after dropping the pick it seemed ages to get a grip but when it did boy what a tide was running through.

We started with 1.5lb of lead to try to hold bottom, and after a while I reeled in only to find some fat pout stuck on the end of the hook!

Down again to get doggie after doggie after doggie! dry.gif

Paul had a good bite and brought in a conger at about 15lb but he relaeased it at the side of the boat as it was rather angry! tongue.gif

Paul then had a pout but no Tope so we thought we would try to drift for Tope but that didnot work either. So it was suggested to try for Bass back at the harbour entrance, tried at Old Harry's Rock but no luck, and again no bites in the harbour.

Not a great fish day but I learnt a lot about the area and meet some great guys.

Paul that trip trying all the creeks etc. in the harbour sounds great to me, will be in touch when I am next down. Thanks again for everything

Coddy

cool.gif

Hi Dave

It was good to meet you, sorry you didnt get more fish but that's our hobby, unpredictable. Apologies for not coming out to play but I won't take maverick out without crew its blooming hard work retreiving a 195 on your own and of course there is the small issue of safety. On the plus side I didn't show any one up biggrin.gif as I would probably have fluked more out than you lot laugh.giflaugh.gif Another plus point is that my brownie points bag is overflowing wink.gif

Would be good to see you at a meeting sometime in the future. Would give you a chance to meet some more members all of whom you will find friendly.

Martin

Coddy.........good to meet you at last, shame about the fish, ........ some crew can put their skippers on fish.....some crew cant wink.gif As Martin says, fluke plays a major role when all tactics employed are the same, but then thats the name of the game!

Cheers for a great day out, again, Adam, the good ship BW rules the waves!! Next time we will have the live bait to Knobble the bass at the rock!!

A PB tope for me....... although still no Conger.............James HELP!!:blink:

See some of you on Thursday..............Rich

Just to add my 2 peneth worth! biggrin.gif

Was good to finally meet Coddy, what a well kitted out boat 'Sammy' is.

Forecast for for WSW 3-5, so we headed out to Swanage Bay to get a few mackies, then plan was off tp the Whitehouse for Ray. Mackies came easily on BW, but Sammy struggled, so we plodded off hoping to get a dew more at the mark. Well, by now it was about 8.30am, and the wind was scarcely a F2, so I made the deciscion to head W over to the Anvil. Big tide running but slack at 12 noon. Macky a-plenty again, so 1/2 an hour and we had enough for Sammy's crew also!

Anchor struggled for both boats 1st drop, but we got it right 2nd time. 4 knots of tide meant the first hour was a struggle. As the tide backed off the Tope came on the feed and Rich and I bagged 5 fish all over 20lb within 1 hour. Dead slack and I managed 2 eels to 25lb, then nowt! - strange unsure.gif

It was now 2.30pm, and raining so we had a fun ride back in at 23knts sufring the swell all the way! Stopped at the Old Harry race as a single guy in a small blue strikeliner was playing a bass - tried to copy his fishing with live sandeels with our rubber lures - we had 10 drifts and no fish - he had 5 drifts and 4 fish - live sandeels ruled the day!

Back home by 5pm. Not a red letter day, but v. enjoyable non-the-less!

Cheers