Personal Info

Paul D

Not wishing to alarm anyone but I have always considered myself to be "careful" on the internet but evidently not careful enough !!

Following on from my brush with Fraudsters, I would advise anyone to NOT divulge their date of birth on here and not to divulge there correct surname.

To commit fraud all that is needed is a copy of a bank statement and/or knowledge of account numbers ( ie. Nicked from bin / post office etc. ) and date of birth.

Similarily, personal profiles on ICQ / MSN etc. etc.

Your address / phone number / employer details are all useful to fraudsters. Bear this in mind when using the internet ( as I know to my cost ).

It's sad to hear your id had been cloned and you'd lost out as a result. However, I believe the bank is responsible for the lose as long as you can prove fraudulent.

It's worth investing in a shredder. Shred all unwanted documents with personal information on them.

The costs about

Whilst I do not disagree this would appear to make anyone who issues a cheque but is not 'ex directory' from the phonebook liable. In the same way anyone paying by credit card is providing the necessary information for someone to complete a further transaction on their behalf............

On the other hand if yo pay with huge wads of cash the assumption is that you are the crook!

It is all to much - can I suggest we just go fishing ?