K2 (Shakespeare)

Wedger

I heard a nasty rumour that K2 are cutting Penn International and The Ugly Stick range of rods from their product list..... huh.gif

.... the only decent stuff left in the line-up I'm told. Anyone know what's going on unsure.gif

Hi Trevor

Norman who was fishing with me in the Open seems to know about this he said that the take over of these companies into one made the range of tackle very large with a lot of simular rods.

So some were being discontinued.

It sounds like they are discontinuing the top end of the range to me. sad.gif

I will email Norman to try and get more info

Charlie biggrin.gif

I reckon it's a volume thing, very much like the 'supermarket syndrome' It will make it harder for the discerning angler to get quality gear from the high street.

Took me ages to get two Penn Slammer live-liners over here only to find they too are now made in China. I could have also bought them direct from the States and delivered to my door in 4 days for about 2 thirds the price ohmy.gif .

huh.gif

Madness

Hi all

Just received this from Norman Berry, who as the editor of the Sea Fishing News has his ears to the ground on these things

Charlie biggrin.gif

I'll ask Shakespeare what's happening but I doubt if it's what you heard as they are their best lines.

I do know that they are 'rationalising' their lines due to duplication but that was to be expected but I can't see them ditching their best sellers, Penn make superb reels, not all of them but some of them but most of their rods are not up to a lot, better ones are made by Shakepeare and ABU. ABU make some good rods and reels but not all of them are good and Shakespeare make some good rods, tackle boxes etc but no really good reels. I think once it's all sorted and a bit of 'cherry picking' has gone on what's left will be the best of the bunch.

Regards Norman

Another reply from the people who know

reads:

Just spoken to my product developement contact and here is the 'truth'. There will undoubtedly be some 'rationalisation' due to duplication of certain products. Penn rods are currently being re-designed but will remain Penn rods, reels will be reviewd next year with a few new and improved models introduced but most will stay. Shakespeare will lose a few beach rods and ABU will remain about the same. All brands will eventually go to a new, bigger centralised warehouse at Redditch. Put that on your site if you wish,

cheers, Norman.