Bass MLS

Paul J

Should anyone wish to signal their supprt for his speaking up, you could e-mail him via:

Done I've sent him this:-

Dear Martin,

I am writing to thank you for your efforts in trying to ensure that the UK has a sustainable and sensibly managed long term Bass fishing industry and to say that I am extremely disappointed with the ministers short term decision not to increase the MLS. Having listened to your questions put to Jonathon Shaw on 22nd November I can only say that his complete disregard for the scientific recommendations and conservation arguments that have been made over the last 5 years is unbelievable.

Regarding any proposal to introduce a sea fishing license I would fully support this providing the funds raised were used exclusively to improve angling and support conservation issues. However, if it was introduced and ended up being used to fund another 3 years of study into the pros and cons of increasing the MLS, or worse still became yet another stealth tax, it would be a complete disaster both for fish stocks and the Labour Party

It

Well done to Mr Salter indeed but it falls on deaf ears.

You could also write to Jonathon Shaw as I have

Dear Mr Shaw

I read with horror your recent decision not to increase the minimum landing size for Bass as supported by your predecessor. How can this be justified when all scientific data leans towards landing sizes being increased. One or two good year classes will not support a whole species. Larger landing sizes are necessary so that long term we see an increase in both fish quantity and size of fish. As an angler I find your actions deplorable. Now I also read that you intend applying to allow Commercial fishermen larger quotas allowing them to land more cod on the premise that landing more cod will alleviate the discard problem. Well I am aghast at this decision and can only call your reasoning a load of cods wollop. I would think it would be blatantly obvious to anyone that allowing larger quantities of small fish be caught that have not had the opportunity to replenish stocks by way of breeding is to say the least idiotic. I also understand you then have a plan that you would like to have anglers pay licences