Combined Species/specimen Comps

Mike Fox

I happen to enjoy species comps. Strange I know, but there we have it.

I like deliberately seeking different species, and trying different marks and tactics in a day to get an interesting mixed bag. It probably comes from not being very good at the specimens comps, I guess.

I did like last years' species comps, but noted that attendance wasn't good, and the format this year was modified to try to accommodate the majority, but I suspect that numbers fishing haven't actually been that much better.

Could I suggest a different format comp as a trial? This is a combined species/specimen percentage that goes like this:

- One one fish of each species to be weighed in per angler;

- The specimen percentage is recorded for that fish;

- The total percentage for all registered fish for that angler to be added up;

- Rankings as at present, with 20 points for first place etc.

That's it. Simple. It stops the lucky chance fish from over the horizon from dominating, and it stops the tiddler snatcher bagging up and accumulating stacks of points. It might even be a bit of fun, and aids conservation as no one species will get hammered!

If we get out this weekend on Frisky as planned, we'll try it, and see how we get on between us all. Anyone else want to play?

Mike

Well, we gave it a go on Frisky.

In hindsight I think I'd prefer to add a couple of additional rules:

- All fish on the NFSA list to be over minimum sizes;

- Any fish NOT on the NFSA list to be automatically awarded a set percentage - say 25% (rarity value alone, and low enough to put people off blenny bashing)

On that basis, my catch today was:

Bass 1lb v 9.5lb = 0% Undersized

Dogfish - Lesser Spotted 2lb 0oz v 3.0lb = 66.67%

Smoothound - Starry 2lb 3oz v 15.0lb = 13.33%

Wrasse - Ballan 2lb 12oz v 5.0lb = 55.00%

Other:

Bream - Gilhead 4oz v n/a = 25.00% Not listed

Total 160.00%

Not sure if that's a great example (and the formatting got altered), but what do people think?

Mike

Edited by Mike Fox

Dan - nice idea - or if a new species to the club record list, then maybe 100%?

Tony - the 50% minimum, as in many club comps, takes too much of the fun out of it for me, and is one of the reasons I'm not fond of specimen comps, and don't fish too many. I wonder how many other anglers in the club think the same, and just say nothing? The reasons for me are simple - I probably haven't had a 50% mackerel all season, and I've not had a 50% pollack or smoothound in my life for example. It still takes skill and perseverence to catch a pollack or smoothhound to order, but if this rule applied in a fun species comp I wouldn't bother going for those - a bit of a shame maybe?

I think the 50% minimum is sensible for comps with formal weigh-ins, to prevent undersized fish coming to the scales and to aid conservation, but for a club "fun" comp where most fish are returned, then maybe not....what do others think?

Oh, and George came up with a better name for this - "Multi-Specimen".

Keep the comments coming in folks, and remember this is just a suggestion to find another way to put some fun back into things.

Mike

Just for the record club specimen comps do not have the 50% rule. As there is no weigh in there would be no benefit for the fish so members can record any size fish they catch.

The 50% rule its only for our open comp to reduce the amount of small fish brought to the scales

Martin