New Inboard For Yacht

Rob

I colleague of mine needs to replace his ancient inboard on his 28ft yacht. I know the majority of us here do not use sail power but a number of you have vast marine engine experience, so I offered to tap in to it for him.

He is looking for a 12-20 hp diesel inboard brand new, he has looked at Yanmar but is open to suggestions.

He was thinking of heading to the boat show to get a deal. Is he best going to the show in the first few days or late in the week when there will be targets for the sales guys to hit? Or does he wait till winter when business is really quiet to get a good deal?

Any advice on brands and timing would be appreciated.

Thanks

Rob

I colleague of mine needs to replace his ancient inboard on his 28ft yacht. I know the majority of us here do not use sail power but a number of you have vast marine engine experience, so I offered to tap in to it for him.

He is looking for a 12-20 hp diesel inboard brand new, he has looked at Yanmar but is open to suggestions.

He was thinking of heading to the boat show to get a deal. Is he best going to the show in the first few days or late in the week when there will be targets for the sales guys to hit? Or does he wait till winter when business is really quiet to get a good deal?

Any advice on brands and timing would be appreciated.

Thanks

Rob

The boat show is best, as is mid week.

During the weekends everyone is out for a day in the sun (hopefully) with the family.

During the week you have much more space to yourself and time to look at what you want to see and the sales guys will have time to show you properly.

Also look at Nanni for the smaller engines. Good value and decent little lumps.

• 4 weeks later...

Tom - Spot on, my friend has put a deposit down on a Nanni for his yacht.

He now needs a prop shaft etc and a man to fit it.

I have recommended he call Sam Trickett but am unsure if this is in Sam's line of work.

Also, he has looked at Lake Engineering ( Poole ) Ltd for the shaft etc. Does anyone have any experience with them?

Cheers

Rob

Edited by rob francis

Tom - Spot on, my friend has put a deposit down on a Nanni for his yacht.

He now needs a prop shaft etc and a man to fit it.

I have recommended he call Sam Trickett but am unsure if this is in Sam's line of work.

Also, he has looked at Lake Engineering ( Poole ) Ltd for the shaft etc. Does anyone have any experience with them?

Cheers

Rob

Rob

Sam has a brother that used to work for Mermaid marine on diesel inboards. so I would guess if Sam can't Ben could.

Ben does the maintenance on Awol and can thoroughly reccomend him.

Martin