The Comp - 30/11

duncan

Thanks to all who worked hard to make the day - committee et al - must be a lot of work.

Three of us headed off across Poole Harbour and out into the bay on an almost mirror sea with the sun slowly rising. What a fantastic feeling!

Looking for an edge, because we knew we didn't stand a chance without one wink.gif, we headed off towards the Needles and anchored a few miles SSE of the light at 0835h - not bad planning we thought.

Squid, mackerel, sand eel and mussel brought us dogs, pout, dogs and pout which, from the radio chat, was the same as everyone else.

As the tide picked up Alan was into something better and eventually up popped a nice coddling around the 7 mark. It was to be 3 hours later before he repeated the trick with a fish just shy of 10.

In between we had a spotted ray that wasn't big enough to compete as a flounder and a conger that, if disguised as a common eel, still wouldn't have frightnened the scorers rolleyes.gif .

As the wind got up we hauled anchor and returned in somewhat different conditions to the trip out.

Thanks again to the organises and the staff at the Marina Club.

post-14-1070281639.jpg

Duncan

It was nice to put a face to the voice and pleasing to hear you enjoyed the day, its nice to get feedback, I trust you'll be joining us again in the near future.

You could always join the club and enter our own in house species hunts/bream/ flatfish comps amongst others.

I've got your form all we need is a chq for your next years subscription

Regards

Martin

Martin - assume the cheque is 'in the cod' as it were - you will get it!

I only really started to enjoy my boating when I joined up with a few like minded people in Poole - I am hoping the same will be true for the fishing.

Whilst I don't fish to be competitive (the fishing itself is hard enough!), and I will only ever kill a fish for the table, I look forward to the odd additional interest that species hunts etc can give.

Duncan

No need to kill any fish in any of our in house club comps smile.gif . They are run on a trust basis ie: we dont have a weigh in, if you say you caught it, you caught it. We trust all our members. Indead there's no money or prizes to be won only a cup or shield at the end of the year, oh and one minutes glory at the annual dinner dance and presentation.

We all fish for fun, the competitions just add that bit of interest,banter and comerarderie.

We know a system such as ours is open to abuse but better that than loads of dead unwanted fish at a weigh in. After all those that cheat are only fooling themsleves ph34r.gif

Martin

I second that,

The more fish we put back the longer the fishing will last.

We get good turn out and a good competition without the need to slaughter fish.

Even our one comp where we weigh in only the best fish are brought in and some of those are kept alive to go back in after the weigh in.

You and anyone else that has a liking for this type of fishing are more than welcome to join the Club and enter the friendly competitions if you wish.

Charlie