Species Comp

Paul D

After inviting Charlie out for the day and following a few missed communications - mainly as a result of too much wine and a foul hangover on my part - we finally got out.

Saw stacks of small bass at a difficult spot to fish on the way out and decided to bag up on the way back in - especially if the forecast changed and the weather got snotty.

Charged out to the Saddler - ready for the tope and rays - Plenty of mackerel showing and quickly caught - enough to score and enough for bait. I got three quick dogs and Charlie got a bream - then nothing.

Ok then lets go for Pout and Congers on the Lenny - charged off - couldnt bloody find it - so into Swanage Bay to my Bream, Smoothhoud and Undulate mark - all baits attacked by tiny Bream - even size 4 hooks couldn't catch them.

Off to Peverill - drift slowly for the wrasse - each had 4 within a couple of drifts - a quick try for Pollock with a black jellyworm with an orange tail produced nothing as did baited hockeyes/ feathers.

Off to the Carantan - a big wreck of Anvil Point - targeting Pout on the drift and perhaps anchor for Congers - set up the drift tried with feathers - nothing - just about to start again and the divers turn up - no species points for the men in rubber!!! leave that one for Mr Fox!

So - back to Poole Rocks - should get our bream and a few other species their- one solitary wrasse -

OK - lets head back to the Harbour - a quick tie up to buoy provides nothing but trouble with every boat in the harbour zooming past within a couple of feet - so opt for a drift down the edge of the channel - have caught very small smoothies, plaice and bass and the odd Guilt head bream - Not a bite.

Right - last chance - lets get thos Bass - sod it they have all moved and its too difficult to fish with the number of boats stacking up for the bridge.

Down to the Quay - last chance - a very slow drift with the boat being held on the engine to avoid the rest of the "Birmingham Navy" in their sunseekers - another wrasse!

So in the end - not too succesful on the catching front - but we certainly hunted!!

and the weather certainly was much improved on what was expected.

Charlie ended the day on 40 Points and I got 42 - actual score sheets to follow

Cheers

Neal

PS If I forgot anything, I expect Charlie will add his comments - and by the way it was a pleasure to have him on-board.

"The Sadler" is a area of rough ground (shaped like a saddle) about 4 miles south of Bournemouth Pier - in aline between Old Harry and the Needles - it shows up clearly on a GPS chart - and usually has a load of Poole Charter Boats near it.

The Lenny is a small wreck south and west between the Sadler and Old Harry - apparently all that remains is the boiler and and a few other bits - but if you can find it it has pout and congers on it - coz I have seen them caught!

It is also marked on a GPS chart - but apparently not very accurately!

Neal

After helping out by keeping the numbers up on the comp is it possible to access the results to see how i faired to the rest of the die hards? unsure.gif

It would be interesting to see how my half-hearted attempt compared to the more experienced fishermen. blink.gif

This may or may not give me the incentive to try again...... biggrin.gif (depending on brownie points) weep.gif

who knows maybe even trying for the BFM comp? cool.gif

Gary

Reproduced here :-

First Species Comp Results are as follows :-

1st Gary Ayles 113 Points

2nd Paul Dore 60 points

3rd Simon Larman 56 points

4th Paul Rowcliffe 46 points

5th Neal Sturt 42 points

6th Charlie Annear 40 points

7th Tony Devine 18 points

8th George Fox (Jnr ) 6 points

9th Carol Fox 3 points

10th Mike Fox 0 points

Number fishing = 10

For the set of three species comps the scoring system is 20 points for the winner, 19 for second, 18 for third etc.

So next species comp there is everything to fish for. Why not give it a go.

- Of interest was the fact that whilst fishing in the Solent for the species comp the Lymington club were fishing one of their species comps at the same time - would be interesting to see how many fished their comp.

Those who don't fish because they think they have no chance, take a note of Gazza's score. He only fished this for fun. One way of guaranteeing you have no chance is to not fish at all !

One more comp towards the BFM league and one final one left to fish.

Not bad for a novice, huh.gif Still a bit double dutch with the points though ph34r.gif

If i had any worms i may have caught a few more species (pout, wrasse etc)

So what did people actually catch?

Gary

(working on my brownie points staight away) laugh.gif

1st Species Comp

================

Gary Ayles 4 Dogfish

4 Mackeral

4 Scad

1 Gurnard

1 Conger

2 Tope

1 Garfish

1 Bream 113 Points

Paul Dore 4 Smoothhound

2 Bream

2 Wrasse

4 Mackeral 60 points

Simon L 4 Mackeral

3 Scad

1 Pout

3 Dogfish

1 Bass 56 Points

Paul Rowcliffe 2 Smoothhound

3 Bream

1 Wrasse

4 Mackeral 46 points

Neal Sturt 42 Points

Charlie Annear 4 Mackeral

4 Wrasse

1 Bream

1 Dogfish 40 points

Tony Devine 2 Dogfish

2 Smoothies

4 Mackeral 18 points

George Fox 2 Bream 6 points

Carol Fox 1 Bream 3 points

Mike Fox No score 0 points

• 2 weeks later...
After inviting Charlie out for the day and following a few missed communications - mainly as a result of too much wine and a foul hangover on my part - we finally got out.

Saw stacks of small bass at a difficult spot to fish on the way out and decided to bag up on the way back in - especially if the forecast changed and the weather got snotty.

Charged out to the Saddler - ready for the tope and rays - Plenty of mackerel showing and quickly caught - enough to score and enough for bait. I got three quick dogs and Charlie got a bream - then nothing.

Ok then lets go for Pout and Congers on the Lenny - charged off - couldnt bloody find it - so into Swanage Bay to my Bream, Smoothhoud and Undulate mark - all baits attacked by tiny Bream - even size 4 hooks couldn't catch them.

Off to Peverill - drift slowly for the wrasse - each had 4 within a couple of drifts - a quick try for Pollock with a black jellyworm with an orange tail produced nothing as did baited hockeyes/ feathers.

Off to the Carantan - a big wreck of Anvil Point - targeting Pout on the drift and perhaps anchor for Congers - set up the drift tried with feathers - nothing - just about to start again and the divers turn up - no species points for the men in rubber!!! leave that one for Mr Fox!

So - back to Poole Rocks - should get our bream and a few other species their- one solitary wrasse -

OK - lets head back to the Harbour - a quick tie up to buoy provides nothing but trouble with every boat in the harbour zooming past within a couple of feet - so opt for a drift down the edge of the channel - have caught very small smoothies, plaice and bass and the odd Guilt head bream - Not a bite.

Right - last chance - lets get thos Bass - sod it they have all moved and its too difficult to fish with the number of boats stacking up for the bridge.

Down to the Quay - last chance - a very slow drift with the boat being held on the engine to avoid the rest of the "Birmingham Navy" in their sunseekers - another wrasse!

So in the end - not too succesful on the catching front - but we certainly hunted!!

and the weather certainly was much improved on what was expected.

Charlie ended the day on 40 Points and I got 42 - actual score sheets to follow

Cheers

Neal

PS If I forgot anything, I expect Charlie will add his comments - and by the way it was a pleasure to have him on-board.

It struck me that I hadn't added my two penneth to this!

Yep, what Neal said!

Apart from catching some fish, it was a 100% learning curve for me as my first comp, going to new marks and catching new species.

I'd like to say I'm very grateful for the instruction, the comfortable transportation and the hospitality.

If any other newbies are shying away from comps due to how they view their own level of knowledge and experience, then swallow your concerns and hitch a ride with these guys or one of the other experts and you won't go far wrong. cool.gif

C.

P.S Yes Tom & Sam, I did keep my lunch down...