Left-hand Wind Multiplier

Mike Fox

Carol's fixed spool reel died this week. Another bale-arm roller seized despite regular lubrication, and line cutting into it risking fraying the main line. I wish these were made tougher, as we've had several reels go this way. If anyone has a bulk supply of stainless rollers, I could use a few!

As a result, Carol agreed to try a multiplier as a tougher, long-term alternative. It had to be left-handed, with a level-wind, capable of taking braid, and had to be light, yet designed for marine usage.

We settled on an Ambassadeur 6501 which seems silky smooth, holds 300m of braid with backing, and feels delightfully balanced on her 20lb class Abu rod.

Will wait to see if catches improve!

Mike

i'll be looking for a lefthander soon for plugging-

it might take me some time to get used to but it makes sense to go this way when theres a lot of casting involved.

My spinning and fly reels are set up for lefthanded retrieve and im totally comfortable with those

PJ

Mike,

I like them so much I have 2 - they are small but have enough capacity for inshore fishing. Drifting a Spring Tide on Portland race I found the capacity too small, mind you wer were moving at 6 knots+.

Rob

I have a lovely tiny bait casting reel somewhere! Only used plugging for pike fishing and once on the boat and is in ok condition. I will look to see what make it is, but its decent and cost me 70squid and will swap it for another reel that i can use for down tiding. I will dig it out if i can find it and post a pic.

I may be able to throw in a 100m spool of 5kg braid aswel wink.gif

There was 2 bait casting rods aswel, but Dom broke them both ph34r.gif

Edited by Gnasher