what is "foul hooked"?

duncan

personally I feel that a fish hooked in the head - ie in front of the gills - is fairly hooked when using lures, and therefore probably also when using bait.

any other part of the body would not be considered fairly caught.

Is there any NFSA guidlines?

Yeah....see the other post.

I agree with the NSFA guidelines, but think that I would be unhappy submitting a fish if it was cuahgt in the tail for instance - I think I would then exclude it.

Best way forward I think is just to follow the NFSA....its then up to the indiviual if they want to sumbit it.

I suppose it's all down to what we think the meaning of fishing is.

One could go out in a dinghy and wait for a fish to jump into it, and we all know that it sometimes happens. But that is not fishing it's luck.

Similarly one could tow a hook through a shoal of fish and hope with luck that it impails a fish. That too is luck not fishing.

I think fishing starts when one uses a degree of skill to achieve the object of ones efforts. So IMO a fish foul hooked through the tail or back is a fish caught by luck not fishing. The mouth or the area of the mouth is fishing.

So I for one would not want to claim I had caught a fish by any other method than fishing. A hook in the tail etc was luck.

Mike