unwashed squid

JIMBOB

Hi all

In this months BFM mag there was an article that said unwashed squid was the top bait for smoothys!!! with it was out fishing crab when fished side by side.

Sounds to good to be true.. where do i find this unwashed squid and how much does it cost? Its got to be cheaper than prime peeler.

Any ideas anyone??

Come on guys, We need a source for this unwashed squid,with all our knowlage there got to be someone who knows somewhere to buy it local? It could be just the thing in the winter to give you a bit of an edge for the cod wink.gif Being un washed its got to give off a hell of a sent trail wink.gifwink.gif

I asked at a couple of tackle shops and they looked at me as though I was a loony (Perlees! I'm trying to be serious). One even replied in a huff "No mate all ours is washed clean".........

Did I hear on the club site that it comes up from the Faulklands? Well it must end up somewhere??? Animal Feed processors??

Mike

Ive been thinking!!....... U wouldnt buy washed ragworm,mackrel.....lug....... or peeler!!!

why!!! ??

why do we use food grade anyway?!.... less scent, less fish!! ........and its got to be cheaper

less washing!!!! biggrin.gif

Hi

May I make a suggestion that if you can get some 'Dry Ice' it will remain frozen for a least 2 days without any problems.

We had some this week-end and it kept everything frozen, we used one of those polystirene boxs as well.

Codfather

cool.gif

I'll have a word with my mate Billy who is the tackle dealer, Obviously he gets it delivered to him frozen so I'll find out if its practical to ship some down to yous lads and the best way to go about doing it.

While I'm here, We had our annual ( I can call it that cos we've had it two years in a row now biggrin.gif ) boat fishing competition out of the Tyne in aid of the RNLI. All the charter lads give us the use of there boats for a day and along with the private boat entries we managed to raise over

Marc............it may well be that your dealer gets his stock from down south here, as a hell of a lot of shipping comes through Southampton docks. We could maybe arrange for some tackle dealers down here to begin stocking it. Failing that, if we pack it frozen into polystyrene travel boxes, and bung it on a next day delivery, it will reach us frozen.................and I'm up for thirty squids qorth as well

Regards, Rich

PS I need all the help I can get when it comes to catching!!!!!!

I think you can catch squid of Weymouth pier in sept/oct time and used to know someone who did it a lot, maybe worth a bash to top up also cuttle fish maybe worth a shot we also catch a couple and have started keeping them for winter baits and using them now is tougher/thicker than squid so can be presented well. I think wessex sell cuttle also?

tongue.gif The trawler boys get cuttle and squid for a pastime here. I will see if they are willing to bring them ashore for me. If so I can freeze them down for you to share out. ( Or I may keep them and auction them off.) However, my personal opinion is that the boxed squid from A T C is as good as any lads. I believe is it Califonian. Just defrost straight away and let it warm on your bait board. Regards, BB cool.gif