Penn Trq Reels

TomBettle

Well

Being the most monumental tackle tart that has ever walked this green and pleasant land I can confirm that I am the first "customer" to be receiving the brand new Penn TRQ200 here in the UK.

I have just had a chat with that very nice man at Penn, Gary Caulfield, who is sending down something special for me to play with.

Oddly, and unlike me, I have actually paid some money for it and cannot wait to try it at the very first opportunity.

At this moment in time, all I can say is it is absolutely stunning and built like an absolute monster, albeit in something that fits in your palm.

The trouble with anything that is (alledgedly) the absolute best, it comes at a price and that price ain't a cheap one.

RRP is

Edited by TomBettle

...and just to completely hi-jack Tom's thread, but still on the theme of reels...

I have had on one of my spinning rods for the past year an old (6 yrs) abu that I used when I was a shore dangler - it is the 6500 C3 Syncro.

I never gave it much though except when I became addicted to shallow water bassing with very light tackle. It isnt anything that special, just a small 6500 push clutch reel - BUT, the syncro drag (which was a big gimick at the time) has proved invaluable. Basically you play the fish as per normal and have you drag set as you would usually, but at any critical moment, say when the beastie dives deep at the net, you can 'backwind' but 1/2 a turn instantly backing the drag of by about 50% - it has saved me dozens of lost fish and is equally as good for big bream.

It is the same principle that Shimano introduced a few years back call the 'fightin drag'

I have just picked up another from flee bay for just 15 squid! Oh - and they are the 'good' ones - i.e made in Sweden - not Taiwan!! biggrin.gif

post-5-1176990698jpg

It's here and it is just as stunning as Gary Caulfield promised.

It really is a beautiful piece of engineering and I cannot wait to give it a go.

It will be married up to another lovely new toy. A Penn Waveblaster 20/30 4 piece travel rod which Gary dangled in front of me at the same time.

These two are remarably well balanced to each other, depsite the reel being titchy in dimensions.

Hey Ho, I now havemy new heavy gear combo and can't wait to bend the rod and slip the drag on a club record Conger, big Porgie or even a Blue Shark when I fish off White Waters in August.

Simply stunning!

Tom