Hi All

Member Removed

Hi all

I'm Simon, just got round to registering but have been reading the forums and picking up a few tips from you guys for a while. I'm a bit of a beginner, only got my first boat late this season, an old Shetland 570. Got her moored in Christchurch near the quay. Done a bit of course fishing in the past and am keen to get into sea fishing. Haven

Welcome to the site Simon, you've come to the right place.

If you have a question then someone on here will have the answer.

I've spent the last 9 months doing up a Family Four and trying to move on from being a novice angler and the advice from these guys has been invaluable. cool.gif

Edited by charlieannear

Thanks for the welcome

Interesting to know there are a few other Shetland owners in the club and there is a Christchurch Mob. There are some very nice fishing boats moored near mine. I'll look out for the yellow and red flags and read up on Cod fishing.

I'm particularly interested in how adventurous i be with my 570, what are it's limitations etc. Got lots of other questions, I better get posting!

How are you getting on with your Family Four Charlie? What sort of sea/wind strength do you think it handle safely?

Well, lets just say it's taken me longer than I had hoped!

But after another weekend in the fresh air I'm almost finished.

Replaced the windows (now isn't that a FUN job!) amongst other things this weekend.

Was hoping to get it on the water for the Open and that's still just about achieveable if I can get Saturday to finish it off.

As for conditions, I really couldn't say what the safe limits are, but will obviously be sticking to calm days to start off with!

klingon, if the weather and tide are ok then you will reach the cod marks fine. I took a little 14footer miles past the needles last winter and it was fine, likewise, Specimen is planning to fish the cod marks, so if hes brave enough, you will be fine....But remember to have the correct saftey kit and get the conditions right before you venture to far off. Get it wrong and it really can kick up out there, so be safe.

Good luck

Dan

Edited by Gnasher