Outboard Service

Mike Hall

HI all long time not here but i am back and without the wife ! sadly or maybe not so sadly we parted company still got the shetland though . smile.gif took the shetland out of the water at the beginning of this year because she had got very heavy ! suspect leak and being ful of foam i suspected it to be soaked also she was listing a little . ok well i decided nothing for it but out with the floor and foam and in with new stuff if you are going to do it then do it properly . ever got to the stage when you wish you hadn't started ?

well the new floor is back in and the new foam will be too in the next few weeks and the rest of the furniture and fittings . so all in all i hope to have all done for the flattie season .but i need some suggestions as to the best place to get my 75 hp merc outboard serviced and thouroughly checked over without having to cut my other arm off to pay for it ( the wife got the other arm) but i want the job done well and you dont mind paying if you know the person cares about what he's doing and does a good job do you ? well must go more work to do to the boat but at least now i got no one nagging me about when im coming home for tea !!!! also once back in the water maybe i will have some space for some crew now and again but i would prefer experienced people as i still dont really know what im doing . one other thing is i may need to find somewhere to keep her also as i cant afford to moor her at rockley this year .anyone with any info or just want chat please leave message or phone number

many thanks and tight lines all

mike hall

With out a doubt the best person to service your O/B at a sensible price is Sam Tricket (07810 561520) .

He has a mobile workshop and does contract work round this (Poole) area for most of the big O/B suppliers and Boatstart.

Tell him that his mate Sean's fiance's, uncle Mike sent you and the odds are he'll charge you at trade rates.

Mad Mike

Mike - good luck I suspect all the work will have been worthwhile..

Re mooring you may well find Rockley are pretty cheap over the winter if you are keeping the boat in the water to use, but yes the prices for next summer are starting to reflect demand............don't rule out Dolphin Haven (or whatever it;s called!) for a small boat in the winter season it can work out really economical proving you use the boat a fair bit. See Sam's info thread about a month ago.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all

Sorry for the late reply but been busy with work and trying to get the boat back together . Mike thanks for the phone number i will give Sam Trickett a call for sure especially as he comes recommended . Also thanks Duncan for the encouragement . Does anyone know where i gan get a new seal for my houdini escape hatch ? i tried e mailing houdini direct but so far no reply they probably want to sell me a whole new hatch . Also i have a canopy that needs repairing or psooibly renewing if the funds stretch that far any ideas?

Good fishing to you all

Mike hall

OK re the hatch seal -

seals direct are a possibility if you can remove the existing one and send it to them or provide exact dimensions

alternatively the following was posted on another forum in relation to this issue - one of the reasons these seals start to leak is that they harden with age because the plasticiser bleeds out over the years. You can reclaim them however by removing the seal and soaking in a chemical to replace the plasticiser.

The chemical is available in camping shops its the stuff you use to waterproof tents (silicone waterproofing).

Soak the seal in the solution and place in an airtight bag for a few days and slowly the solution will absorb and the suppleness will return.

• 2 weeks later...

HI Thank you Duncan for the seals information i have looked and they sell the seals i am looking for biggrin.gif ( much cheaper than buying a new hatch )......all is going quite well i went to boat jumble last weekend and picked up the non slip matting for the floor and got 3 sheets for the price of one !!!!!!! just not the big brand name but it is exactly what i wanted .still a long way off finishing but i will keep plodding away

tight lines all

mike

Hi Mike

Come round for a look at my Family Four sometime- we can swap tips and ideas.

I used seals direct to sort out my leaky escape hatch. If you need to actually replace the rubber that holds the glass into the frame, and you have the same hatch as me, then you might have to take a different approach. Have also been replacing my windows if you want a look at them.

Sam Trickett has just serviced my Johnson- it had a fault that was very hard to diagnose but he persisted and got to the bottom of it- importantly a very reasonable bill too.

Keep chipping away at the jobs Mike, it's taken me a bit longer than I'd hoped too, but ultimately I'll have a boat that is safe and that I feel confident in and proud of.

C.

Hi Charlie

I would love to come and have a look and swap ideas and tips it is nice to find someone with the same interest as for the water in your foam it could be more than you think as i discovered but i have come up with a simple idea taht will maybe overcome the problem if it occurs in the future tell you about it later >I am in parkstone and my boat is at my mums in oakdale but not sure where you are .My mobile number is 07956934612 give me a call or send text anytime and i will let you know my address and maybe arrange a time to get together to look over the boats unfortunately my boat is still some way off being finished (maybe im too fussy !!!) not sure if it will be ready for the open i doubt it sad.gif but will have to wait and see there is so much i want to do but maybe somethings will have to wait

keep plugging away eventually all the holes will be filled !!!!!

mike

Hi Mike

I'm in Parkstone, as is the boat, not a million miles from where the club meets monthly.

I'm sure the water in the foam is only from the recent rain that we've had since I took the windows out. I had managed to dry it out completely over the summer. It's surprising how much water will percolate through bare fibreglass and also through the holes in the floor where the foam was injected. The instructor on the course I was on at the weekend used to sell Shetlands and he said the first thing he used to reccomend any owner was to put an additional drain bung in the transom, as low down as possible, to keep the underfloor area drained out.

I've put your number in my phone and will give you a ring sometime soon.

C.

Hi Charlie

hope to see you soon i agree with the salesman but my idea is a little different about this as i will explain when see you the problem with the shetalnd is when water does find its way into the foam especially from the top of the boat there is no way out for the water if have a hole in the hull then when the boat is out of the water it can escape through the hole in which it came but if no hole in the hull it just sits there my boat was sat on its trailer from the beginning of this year butalthough some of the water evaporated the majority stayed there dorys have the same problem a friend of mine had a dory with water in the foam and they drilled holes in the transome and stood the boat up as near vertical as possible for many months but he told me although he had done this not all the water came out they still found some of the foam wet because the foam itself holds a certain amount i was surprised to find a lot of water in the cockpit area under the floor now on closer inpsection i found the boxes at the bakc that house the batteries etc had no drain holes to let water escape into the well at the stern so water sat on the flrro until eventually finding its way through the bungs filling the holes used to put the foam in .the floor will feel sound because the foam supports it the floor is only half inch ply with just a few 2x2 bearers to keep it in place until foamed in so just as a suggestion i think it would pay you to check the bungs at the stern of the boat too just pop them out and poke a dry stick down through the foam until you reach the hull bottom then take out and look to see if the stick is wet .

must go for now its 0131 am and my eyes dont want to stay open any longer !!!

also need to get up for work early

keep up the good work

look forward to meeting you and looking over your boat

please take care

mike

smile.gif