The Portland Rig

Bob F

The use of crimps completely ruins the whole principle of the rig IMO.

The beads also add little purpose - they dont have to buffer anything, so just add more cost, bulk and time to the rig.

Great diagram though bob. To me the rig should be quick, cheap and simple to tie.

Yes, agreed when using live mackerel, but for worm or sandeel baits I prefer to keep the flowing trace further up the line to reduce the chance of snagging the hook.

BF

Lose the crimps, just make the middle bit shorter and lengthen the rotten bottom.

Bob,Kam,

Nonono, I described it badly.Attached to the sliding top swivel is a 4 inch rotton bottom and the weight.So its basically a ledger rig with a rotton bottom so that in a bottom snag you loose the weight and can retie quickly.No beads or crimps, rig is as simple as possible so that if its all lost at the end of a drift it can be retied in the 2 or 3 minutes it takes to motor up to the start of the next drift.

TBH dont know why the trace is split with a swivel given the simplicity idea - I ve tried it without but the but doesnt fish as well.

Les