Abu Boat Rod

Member Removed

They will be around the 20lb mark up to 50-80lb mark. I don't know yet but that is the sort of fish that have been taken before.

I'll be fishing about 10-20lb drag and will be tossing poppers of 100g +.

I'm curious to know up to what range of weight can a 30lb rod realistically cast and how many drag it could take.

The rod now is rung for multiplier, I was planning to use a trinidad 30 but I have just ordered a fixspool. I think it is safer and easier to pop with a Fix spool.

Why all these question? I want to know if it's worth it for me to strip it down and re rung it for fix spool usage or will it be better for me to spend 400 quids on a popping rod! weep.gif

30lb Rod can easily take up to about 12lb to 15lb of drag, but that is huge for GT's.

I tend to only have about 15lb drag for Tuna and Marlin on 50lb stand-up and fish into the many hundreds of lb.

The fixed spool, however, isn't geared for that sort of drag. About 7lb is the maximum sensible drag otherwise you begin to mash the gears as it is used as a winch and more over the line will bed in heavily.

Maybe start with a drag at about 9lb to really get the fish away from the reefs that it will be trying to get into and then back off just a smidge otherwise your very expensive Fin-Nor (or whatever) Big Game fixed spool just won't hack the pressure. If you attempt to use a beach casting or "Big Pit" carp fixed spool it just won't stand up to it.

My concern would be the reel rather than thr rod.

Tom

Plaicemat: I'm In Mauritius!

Tom: Thanks for the valuable info about the rod. It should be O.K. I'll test it tomorrow and see how it behaves.

The fix spool is not the ordinary type fix spool. The fin-nor is for medium boat fishing! the fin-nor fishes effciently with 5kg-6kg drag. My daiwa caldia kix which is only a 1500 size reel deliver 4kg of smooth drag!

For Tuna Jigging 7kg is o.k. whereas for popping you use 8-10kg+ on a boat. Since I'll be using it from the shore, I'll use it with 5kg and increasing gradually if the fish decides to make a run into the reef.

I'm planning to buy an Okuma VS-80 but I'll be upgrading as soon as I travel.

The big game fix spool will deliver 66lb of drag i.e 30kg. Realistically 18kg. There are a few reels in the daiwa, accurate and shimano range fix spool which are capable to do so.

There are a few from others as well which will be up for the jobs like in the tica and ryobi range.

JB.

Thanks for that input, Tom. I was getting there in a roundabout way so as to not be accused of teaching grandma to suck eggs. As usual, you got straight to the nub very succinctly. Back in the 60's it was all about big gear for game fish but times have changed for the better as has the gear. My experience is far more out of date than yours, Tom, so I'll leave it to you to give contemporary advice.

Terry.

LOL @ Terry.

My Big Game fishing experience isn't great and I have all but sold my gear as I no longer have the funds to travel the world weep.gif

Jackyboy, whereabouts are you hoping to get GT's from the beach in Mauritious?

Last time I was there (a few years back) I was fishing with Sportsfisher (Benoit wots his name) out from Grand Bay.

Gotta say, my trip was pants. 12 days there, 6 fishing and only 3 hook-ups with none to the boat. All three strikes happened within half an hour of each other within half a mile apart down between the light house and Black wotsit (can't remember the names of the places now).

First one was a monster, an estimated grander, had it on for about 15 mins and tail walking about 10m behind the boat, the next two were smaller at a guess 450 and 250 each.

Other than that my trip was pretty sparten with nothing more than a few small tuna.

Tom