Help

Mikey B

My aerial mount has developed a large crack and is liable to fail at any moment.

The last thing I want is to loose the aerial.

It's made of a hard plasic material and adjustable in two planes.

I would like to replace it for a stainless steel one.

Can I replace the mounting on its own or do I need to replace both, as the antenna apears to be bonded to the mount.

What is the best way to reconnect the aerial wire should I need to cut it.

Any help would appreciated.

Have a look at the picture attchd. Most of them have a threaded top that the aerial unscrews from. It's not a good idea to cut the aerial lead and re join but I guess that a co-axial cable join as used in TV applications could be used ecept that the final mechanical joint needs to be well encased in self amalgamating rubber tape.

Mad Mike

post-9-1153769316jpg

Edited by Afishionado

As Mad Mike has posted your mounting is almost certainly like one of those in the piccy.

You will have to cut off the plug to change the mount. Stailess steel mounts are exactly the same to look at as the plastic one except they shine a little tongue.gif so easy to fit.

When you have changed over the mounts you will have to either fit you old plug or a new one. Don't forget to solder the inner core to the plug and make sure the outer co ax doesn't touch the inner

Martin

It's not a good idea to cut the aerial lead and re join but I guess that a co-axial cable join as used in TV applications could be used .....

Not advisable as TV coax uses 75 ohn impedance connections, whereas the marine VHF radios use 50 ohm impedence connections.

The connector you need to connect to the radio ( assuming you need a new plug ) is a PL259 which is

It's not a good idea to cut the aerial lead and re join but I guess that a co-axial cable join as used in TV applications could be used .....

Not advisable as TV coax uses 75 ohn impedance connections, whereas the marine VHF radios use 50 ohm impedence connections.

The connector you need to connect to the radio ( assuming you need a new plug ) is a PL259 which is

Following on with my aerial problem.

Finished up buying both a new Aerial and a st/steel mount as my old aerial would not fit the new mount.

The leaflet with the new aerial suggests grounding the radio equipment ?

All worked fine before the damage occurred and I am unable to find any ground cable?

Do I need to ground the set up I have and if so how and too what?

Any suggestions appreciated.

Mikey B