Vision 07 Chartplotter...

domino

Hi Guys,

Does anyone have a C-map Vision 07 Chartplotter, or know anybody that has one.

Mine came from MES Ltd in Bristol, about 4 yrs ago.

While out fishing recently it stopped working, giving the message "Not Receiving".

I have contacted MES and they suggest it is probably the antenna gone faulty... "we've had a few of them go!".

They suggest trying to find someone else with the same unit to try and detrmine where the fault lies... they will test it, but want

Alan,

I don't know of anyone that has one of these. Others might know in the club.

Come on chaps.

Anyway, it does sound like it's an antenna problem. I assume it uses an external antenna. I suppose you have checked your antenna plug. The connection inside very often becomes disconnected or has not been soldered.

Where are you located? I could check it for anything that is wrong with the basic set up.

Depending on the connector it could be worth just plugging it into someone elses antenna. It doesn't have to be the exact same make or model. It will not work at its optimum performance but should at least get some sort of signal.

Bob F

Hi

Same as Bob I dont know of anyone who has one of these sets.

I purchased a lowrance about a year ago, after I fitted it I could not get a fix or should I say very intermitently got a fix and when it did get a fix it would soon drop out. I would then get a message very similar to what your machine is giving. The fault lied in a damaged cable from the antenna. The cable was moulded into the antenna so a new one had to be ordered. Fitted that and evreything worked ok

Not very impressed by the service centre responce of wanting to charge you

Guest Guest

Anyway, it does sound like it's an antenna problem. I assume it uses an external antenna. I suppose you have checked your antenna plug. The connection inside very often becomes disconnected or has not been soldered.

Where are you located? I could check it for anything that is wrong with the basic set up.

Depending on the connector it could be worth just plugging it into someone elses antenna. It doesn't have to be the exact same make or model. It will not work at its optimum performance but should at least get some sort of signal.

Bob F

Bob,

I've done a bit of searching, on the Internet, since posting.

Yes, it is an external antenna and as you say... I think almost any GPS antenna would do for testing purposes.

I've found that the connector used is a TNC... I have access to those at work and also 50 Ohm coax, so I can eliminate the cabling.

I've also found instructions for what looks like a fairly easy to build DIY antenna - here. So I'm going to have a go at knocking one up and give it a try... If I get any sort of a signal then it will point to the antenna, If I still don't get a signal it doesn't really prove anything because I can't be certain that the DIY antenna is any good?

The main problem is that I'm in Witney, near Oxford, and all the wiring (except antenna) connects through the mount, which is in the boat... in Weymouth! and the manual doesn't tell me which contacts in the connector are the +12v and Eth.

So if I make up the DIY antenna, I'll still have to wait until I go down to Weymouth again to test it. ;-(

This is why the ideal situation would be to find someone with same unit and simply plug it into thier mount and antenna.

Cheers, Alan

Sounds like a good approach, Alan.

Shame you can't find the 12v and earth pins to power up the unit at home. I can't find anything on a Vision 07 chartplotter on the web. Does this manufacturer have a home page?

Yes, guests can post on our forum, but some sections are restricted to members only.

cheers

Bob F.

Sounds like a good approach, Alan.

Shame you can't find the 12v and earth pins to power up the unit at home. I can't find anything on a Vision 07 chartplotter on the web. Does this manufacturer have a home page?

Yes, guests can post on our forum, but some sections are restricted to members only.

cheers

Bob F.

No... I've never been able to find any references to it, other than on the MES website when they were selling them... In fact the info is still there, even though they no longer sell them.

I beleive they are/were made by C-Map in Italy.

Alan, I may be wrong, but I don't think C-Map are manufacturers of any electronic instruments. They only produce the charts that are used by plotters, etc.

I'm pretty sure C-MAP did not make your Plotter. The advert only refers to C-MAP because that is the type of software charts that the Vision Plotter uses.

C-MAP charts are used in Lowrance, Standard Horizon and Plastimo plotters, amung others.

There used to be a company called Vision that made GPS units but they are no longer in busines, so there's no chance of finding their wed site and downloading a manual that might give the pin out for the connector.

I found out that if the dealers were unable to repair the Vision instruments they used to send them to a repair center in Dorset.

The details are:

The Service Centre

(Trade Only)

Mrs A Eaton

Maritime House

The Leanne Business Centre

Sandford Lane, Wareham

Dorset

BH20 4DY

Tel: 01929 554558 Fax: 01929 554559

info@marineelectronicservices.com

Although it says they only deal with the trade it would be worth a call to see if they would give you the pin out details.

Failing that, you'll have to wait until you can get on your boat and search for the 12v on your connector with a meter.

Good luck.

Bob F.