Boat Tools

Adam F

What tool kits do we all carry on-board?

Do we go for expensive tools - look after them and theyll last? - or cheapies - just replace when they are knackered?

Do we carry a full kit, or just the bare minimum?

Where do you keep it on the boat, what do you keep them in?

Just interested thats all?!! biggrin.gif

Adam

There is not a lot you can do at sea if anything goes wrong especially with modern outboard motors so taking a full tool chest would be pointless. On Maverick I have a small zip up case with flat and cross head screwdrivers, a small electrical screw driver, adjustable spanner, small socket set, pliers, electrical tape, spare fuses, light bulbs and a length of electrical wire. The tools are not best qaulity but I do spray them with wd40 occasionally. Have had them onboard for about 4 years and they are still in usable condition. I have only used them for electrical problems, havent had any other cause to use tools yet.

I have got a box where all my boat bits go ie: cooker, torch cutting board, tools and any other items that are taken of the boat. So they all go on together and all come off together, hopefully then nothing major gets forgotten

Martin

Hi Adam

Most new outboards come with a small bag of tools that are definatly from the cheap end of the market. but they are plated so that they do not rust away to quick.

as the others have said you do not need to carry a full service toolkit as you would find it hard to do anything but the basics at sea.

However on your trail aways you may consider taking more tools/spares and leaving them in the car in case the boat/trailer has a problem.

The only thing I would add to the others list would be a decent plug spanner, its really a first stage thing to check the plug for signs of oil or water if the motor will not start.

Not a bad thing to try with your aux motor, check the plug put it back on the lead and earth it to the block then pull the cord to check for a good spark. I would also drain the carb and replace all the fuel with new.

Charlie rolleyes.gif

Adam

As you will know after your last attempt at floating Tara the small socket set I keep on Maverick contains plug size sockets, as Charlie has stated with modern outboards there aint a lot else other than change a fuse us mechanically ignorant can do and even those mechanically educated cant do a lot more at sea.

Try sitting on your engine in the drive and take out a plug or two, it isnt easy smile.gif , then get the missus to lift and drop the hitch so you have to hold onto the boat with one hand almost impossible laugh.gif

Martin

Thanks for the advice guys. I will source a cheap set of tools, and a suitable tool bag.

I have also found a bag of 100 cable ties (assorted), a roll of insulation tape, and a roll of duck tape invaluable last year on Tara.

Adam