Is it bad luck to change the name of a boat?

Newboy

I was thinking of chamging the name of the boat I'm doing up, but then a friend told me it is bad luck to change the name of a boat.

Do you guys keep the names or do you go thru with some sort of weird ceremonies (like dancing naked around the boat for example) before you do it?! rolleyes.gif

Yes, this is sometime that is said. How true it is, who knows?

But I have seen many boats and ships that have had their names changed.

Who's to say that the boat isn't happy with her present name and would only be too glad to have a new name and a new lease of life...

My view is if you don't like her present name, she probably doesn't like it either.

Doing a jig around the boat in the nude is always worth a try, just don't post any photos of the session, and warm the neighbours so they can keep their cats in doors. They have a nasty habit of lashing out at dangly bits (or so I'm told). biggrin.gif

Bob F

Quote.......Doing a jig around the boat in the nude is always worth a try

Oh I think it is ESSENTIAL. Not only that but PROOF must be provided either by witness statements from say a priest, policeman or a member of the WVS, or photographic proof published in the local paper.

This is the ONLY known way of banishing the bad luck encountered when changeing the name of a boat. Why, I have known cases of an angler NEVER CATCHING ANYTHING BUT 1lb LESSER SPOTTED DOG FISH !!! after changing the name of his boat WITHOUT dancing NICKID AS A BABY 3 times round his boat.

Trust me I am not wrong in this

A Friend ph34r.gif

.........banishing the bad luck encountered when changeing the name of a boat. Why, I have known cases of an angler NEVER CATCHING ANYTHING BUT 1lb LESSER SPOTTED DOG FISH .......

what's wrong with dog fish? I caught lots of the bugger last time I went out. blink.gif

.........banishing the bad luck encountered when changeing the name of a boat. Why, I have known cases of an angler NEVER CATCHING ANYTHING BUT 1lb LESSER SPOTTED DOG FISH .......

what's wrong with dog fish? I caught lots of the bugger last time I went out. blink.gif

Around about LSD #28 the fun sorta starts goin' out of it. By the time LSD# 36 is wraping it' self round your wrist and taking off a layer of skin you start to feel a trifle miffed. Then when your buddy sitting next to you lands a 10lb bass just after a 17lb cod which he caught juat after the 14lb undulate ray all on the same bit of scanky frozen mackerel whilst you've been wasting prime peeler on LS bloody D's. Let me tell you it aint fun catching LSD's all the time.

Mike

Hi all

You are right about the belief that changing the name brings bad luck.

It is said that to get around this a plaque with the old name should be left aboard the boat.

I know that this would be done on a ship after re-commisioning but have not seen it on fishing boats.

A lot of Charter boats change their names when they are sold, the seller wants to retain the name for his new boat if he has built up good PR and a reputation for the boat.

It does not change the fishing on his replacement boat in my experiance.

Just call it Dog Basher or something, wink.gif

then you will not have a problem living up to the name.

Charlie

• 2 weeks later...