What Defines A Game Fish?

Bob F

Any one know what defines a Game fish, as related to Sea fishing?

What tweaked my interest was the Bass article in this months BFM, where it mentions, "bass happens to be one of our few Game fish in the sea."

20 yrs ago bass was used for crab bait because it had no commercial value. Was it considered a Game fish, then? if not, what has changed to now define it as a Game fish?

And what other Game fish do we have on our waters?

cheers

BF

I believe that this is another example of 'if we say it enough people will believe it'..........with a view to getting similar fishing restrictions on bass as salmon / sea trout etc

personally that's not goignto happen and doesn't need to anyway.

Bass, like most fish, need protecting at schoaling/spawing time in order for the species to avoid bieng wiped out for short term gain.

Now, and probably one for Mike, what constitutes a game bird? rolleyes.gif

Gordon I will resist temptation biggrin.gif

In real and origional use of the term 'Game Fish' it is limited to those fish with an adipose fin. However in recent times the term has been mis-used to include any fish that some authorities/angling groups want reclassified to enable commercial fishing for them to be banned. The mis-use of the word is when Game is used when the user should grammaticaly use the word Sports.

Mad Mike

well if i am im good for his age cheeky git but mike and dolly were probably the first to kick it off i just followed as normal. wink.gif those were the day's when you could catch plenty first year i had girl allison i had 47 doubles biggest 15-6 which was caught in the entrance wont see those times again sad.gif

Mike Trott, there's a name from the past and what a guy, he used to out fish everyone on the boat from his up tide position in the bow. While were on this trip down memory lane, does anyone remember those halcyon days wrecking mid channel on virgin wrecks from Zummerset Maid? Awesome and like Crazy say's we wont see those times again.

Gordon H

i used to fish out of plymouth on boa pescador the ferro concrete thing, but by god we used to nail them pollock and congers and then we would fish portland race using rods along side the comercial boys using hand lines of orange cordine there was serious fishing in them day's weep.gifweep.gif

Edited by crazy fred

Hark, do I hear violins playing in the background? laugh.giflaugh.giflaugh.gif

I suppose you use to live in a cardboard box and when you went to school you had no shoes etc. etc. laugh.giflaugh.giflaugh.gif

Now those were the times when boys were boys and men were men! ph34r.gifph34r.gif

Coddy

unsure.gif