New Inshore Wreck?

Afishionado

Ferry responds to yacht's Mayday

The couple abandoned their yacht after it ran aground

A ferry travelling to the Channel Islands has been involved in a yacht rescue off the south coast of England.

A couple were rescued by coastguard teams after they were forced to abandon their 47ft (14.3m) yacht when it hit rocks at Anvil Point, Swanage, Dorset.

The fast-cat ferry Condor Vitesse heard the Mayday relay call on Monday morning, whilst travelling from Poole to the Channel Islands.

The woman, from Wilts, and the man, of Richmond, London, were not injured.

Their yacht Wellworthy was blown high onto the rocks in blustery conditions as they sailed along the coast from Lulworth Cove, Dorset, to Lymington, Hampshire.

The Portland Coastguard helicopter took part in the rescue operation

The man managed to jump from the cliffs they were clinging on to into the Swanage RNLI inshore lifeboat, but the woman had to be airlifted to safety by the coastguard helicopter.

The Condor Vitesse carried on with its journey to the Channel Islands.

Jim Anderson, watch manager for Portland Coastguard, said: "She (the Wellworthy) got caught by bad weather and sea conditions that pushed her into the rocks.

"It may have been a steering fault and she could do little about it but we don't have the full picture.

"They were cruising, they had been staying over night in Lulworth Cove and they were making their way back to Lymington."

A Maritime and Coastguard Agency (MCA) spokesman said the yacht was breaking up on the rocks.

Heard the mayday call ( in fact it was the coastguard that upped it to a mayday ) whilst waiting for Adam to get the trailer for Blue Warrior.

Interestingly they had difficulty ascertaining their postion initially ( at least that's what it sounded like ) - I am sure I heard Brownsea island mentioned initially and then mention of launching the Weymouth inhore lifeboat.

He left his missus at the helm as he went below deck.........just quoting(ish) from the echo

I know! ohmy.gif I would love to know the whole story. How the hell could either he go below and leave an obviously unskilled helm or be down there that long she could get so close (hitting) the rocks. Didn't she yell for help earlier? I wonder how long the marriage will last! laugh.gif

Mad Mike