Asda To Stop Selling Cod

Paul D

commercial fishermens representative says.......Meanwhile however, Scottish White Fish Producers' Association chairman Mike Park today bitterly condemned supermarket chains who cleared cod from their shelves.

He said it was no more than some sort of "commercial statement" aimed at winning favour with the Green movement

It goes to show that the fishing industry has no intention of stopping untill there are no cod left. These people have resisted every move to slow down the overfishing. They expect the rest of the UK to suffer to save the jobs of a few hundred fishermen.

Mad Mike

I thought that Hake are becoming ararity in nets these days too. I personnaly think that any move by any supplier who recognises the drastic reduction in fish stocks in home waters to take such a bold stance, for whatever reason, should be applauded.

I myself am doing my bit, by not catching any cod leaving stocks for other dedicated anglers such as Adam and Gordon........I just hope they appreciate it. wink.gif

Tongue in cheek I know, but if all supermarkets stop flogging the stuff caught from the North Sea, it may have a positive impact on the fish that move towards our waters.

Rich

The Birds Eye brand and hundreds of fish and chip shops in Britain are selling cod from Russian suppliers accused of operating a black market in one of the last large ocean reserves of this potentially endangered species.

Hi-tech fishing has also led to a rapid increase in the size of by-catches. Up to 80% of fish caught is discarded because it is commercially useless and was not the intended target of the fishing nets.